Mothering Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have figured that if I am going to CD I should use cloth wipes too. But what do you store them in? I would like to have some all ready wet (I am thinking just water) that can be put into the diaper bag and not leak everywhere. What has worked best for you container wise? And how do you store them when at home, pre moistened or get them wet at diaper change? Also what fabrics do you find are best? So many choices: flannel, terry cloth, velour, sherpa......................

Thanks
Allison

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
I keep my dry wipes in a little basket on the dresser next to the table, and then bottles of wipe solution in peri bottles. For going out, I put a wipe or two in each clean diaper and then have a small bottle of wipe solution (I got the small container in the travel section at Target). I like this better than having them wet already because I don't like the whole wipe wet so I can use the corners to dry. I also like having dry ones in my bag so I can use them for other things - spills, vomit, etc. Though I have to say I always end up with spare wipes at the bottom of my backpack!

I really like wipes that are flannel on one side and velour or sherpa on the other. I also use regular terry washclohtes and I like those too because they're nice and big and good grabbers. I do not like fleece wipes because the water runs right off of them. I have some nice ones from Lucy's Hope Chest and just got a great freebie from Bumblebuns.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
I keep my wipes in a small basket next to the changing table. I just keep the wipe solution in a container and dip the wipes in as I need them.

I've been using the same wipes for 2 kids. They were flannel and velour. I think i'm gonna buy some new ones that are velour and sherpa.

·
Registered
717 Posts
I keep wipes in an OCD-neat stack on a shelf. downstairs i wet them with plain water from the laundry sink, and upstairs I have peri bottles on each changing table, also filled with plain water.

When I take some somewhere, I just wet a stack of them, wring them out, and put them in a slide-lock plastic baggie.

·
Registered
6,573 Posts
I prefer flannel/velour or velour/sherpa. At home I keep wipes in a wipe warmer. I will wet 4 or 5 wipes with water and put them in, when I use the last one, I wet a few more. I don't like to leave them in there for very long because they start to smell musty. When we are out and about, I have 4 dry wipes in the wipe container (why I have them in that I don't know LOL) and I will wet them as I need them. If I don't know if I'll be near a water source then I will wet a couple (I guess that's why I have them in the wipe container LOL) to bring with me but they go into the pail when we get home otherwise I'll forget about them and they'll get really stinky

·
Registered
9,295 Posts
I use baby washcloths, old cut up flannel crib sheets, old cut up baby towels. I keep them (dry and folded) in a container on top of the toilet in the bathroom, and wet them with warm water when i need one.

we use normal wipes while out and about.

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
I keep dry wipes in a basket at the changing area. I usually wet them at the sink if I know dd is dirty, but I also have a squirt bottle filled with plain water in case I need another mid-change or get caught off guard, lol.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I use my own wipes. They're 2 layers of flannel and work perfect for us. If you sew, you can make a TON of wipes just from 1 or 2 yards of fabric. I use the wipes warmer we had before converting to cloth. I fill it with a little water & TTO and dip as needed into the warm water. I would like to purchase some WAHM made ones though, and I'll use the flannel ones I have now for cleaning up messes in the kitchen, dusting, etc.

I still use regular wipes though when we leave the house.

·
Registered
5,931 Posts
We use the cheap gerber baby washcloths(they've lasted us 18 months so far!!!) and folded in half they fit into a disposable wipes container. You can wet them in there and leave them out for quick use. I did that when I had the daycare. Now that I have only one cloth diapered bum and just 2 kids, I keep them dry in a basket on her dresser with a squirt bottle handy. If you do leave them wet, make sure that you don't put in more than you'll use in a day because otherwise you will end up with musty, smelly wipes. BLECH! For going out we keep dry wipes and just wet wherever we can(sink, water bottle, water fountain, etc). Lots of wahm's make or sell little tiny wetbags for keeping wet wipes on the go so that's an option too. We just find it easier to wet the wipe while chasing down the toddler and wrestling her to the ground!
:

Meg

·
Registered
3,784 Posts
I use baby wash cloths and handmade wipes. I made them myself which are all flannel because that's what I had on hand.

Kara

·
Registered
937 Posts
We use baby wash cloths and wet then with water at time of use. For outings we put the dry wipe in the diaper, and wet with my water bottle that I always carry with me. For sticky poops we use a all natural diaper spray that is made with essential oils to cut down on the smell. When using thi we wipe baby using the same old water and wash rag method then spray his tush and wipe with a clean wet wash rag. It works wonders and since it has aloe and laverndar in it is great for his skin too!

We have used recycled shirts sown into baby sized wash rags- these work well. and fleece sqaures- does not work well, esp. with poop.

Good luck

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
And here I was all stressed about how to carry my wet cloth wipes around with me! Thanks for everyone here who has mentioned that they carry them dry and just carry water or wipes solution along. This will save me having to buy a special "wipes" bag or having to fold wipes into those plastic travel containers.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts