Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I HAVE to post pics later. I am FINALLY feeling the prefold
I want to keep half nice and sparkling white but I think it would be fun to dye the other half. What do you use? Kool-aid would eventually fade and wash out, is that right?

·
Registered
392 Posts
I use a procion dye-(a fiber reactive dye). You can find them at better Art supply stores and sometimes quilting/fabric shops. I like the brand Jacquard.
You can also order wonderful dyes from Dharma trading online

You are right, Koolaid will fade quickly, Koolaid/food coloring works best on protein fibers-like wool

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
Kool-Aid won't work because it only works with animal fibers. (Think wool, silk..) You need a procion dye, used for dyeing natural fibers like cotton, linen etc. Head over to Dharma Trading (www.dharmatrading.com) and check out the suff there. Or look for Dylon at your Wal-Mart or Joanne's Fabrics (or elsewhere that has that kind of stuff). If you just want to play around and not spend a lot of money, it gets tempting to use RIT, but just don't. The quality of the pigment is much lower and it fades way too quickly. JMO though.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Susan_McCormack
I have a question about procion dyes. I've got a bottle of procion MX dye and I tried dyeing cotton and it didn't seem to take. Do I need something else to make it "stick"?

TIA!!
Hey Susan,

Yes, you do need to use both salt, and Soda Ash-which acts as a fixative. Soda Ash is an alkalai that enables the reaction between the dye and the fibers.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
http://www.dharmatrading.com

Have you tried Walmart or Joanns(ifyou have one)? They generally carry tie dye kits that contain procion dyes. Also, most art supply stores that carry high quality artist supplies probably carry a brand of procion dyes(probably from Jacquard)

Good Luck!
Kathy

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Yep, also if you have hard water add some water softener.

Dharma has instructions here
http://www.dharmatrading.com/info/vat_dye.html

I read you can get soda ash at pool supply places but I've only ordered mine from Dharma. It's not that expensive if you are already ordering from them.

·
Premium Member
711 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by kimberlylibby
Poop. It makes great brown streaks down the middle.

I just have to say this cracked me up...
That is why I dye all my prefolds....to hide the stains! I agree with everyone re. dharma....and they ship FAST! I get my dyes quicker from them than if I were to cart both kids out to a store and try to look for some! They usually ship the same day they get your order and have EXCELLENT customer service. just my .02

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Quote:
I'm new to dyes. they don't wash out into other cothes?
Nope. Not if done correctly. If you use soda ash to 'fix' the dye and wash separately at least once in hot with synthropol or a free/clear detergent with vinegar you should be fine. I always recommend folks wash in hot separately or with darks the first time or two just to be safe. after that its fine

and i also use procion mx fiber reactive dyes on cottons - usually from an art supply store locally or dharma trading

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
I got a tie dye kid from JoAnn's--it was a Jacquard one. It worked very well. It came with the soda ash, rubber gloves, rubber bands, 3 colors and 4 bottles (one extra so you can mix an additional color. Easy peasy and fun!

·
Registered
371 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jenb
Hey Susan,

Yes, you do need to use both salt, and Soda Ash-which acts as a fixative. Soda Ash is an alkalai that enables the reaction between the dye and the fibers.

Thanks for letting me know! Do you know if this works on wool as well? And is it colorfast???

Thanks again!

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sleepymama
Yep, also if you have hard water add some water softener.

Dharma has instructions here
http://www.dharmatrading.com/info/vat_dye.html

I read you can get soda ash at pool supply places but I've only ordered mine from Dharma. It's not that expensive if you are already ordering from them.
I bought 4lbs of soda ash for $4 at the pool supply store here. I just didn't want to pay that much for shipping from Dharma, since it's heavy.

But, on water softener, can you use baking soda or calgon? I know those both soften water in the wash, just wondering if it's the same thing.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.