Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey mamas!!! i was just wondering what everyone use to lanolize their wool covers? i was told i could use the breast cream stuff ( the purple container) i just cant think of what it is called right now. i was told to squeeze some into a baby food jar and fill it with hot water til it melts. the fill the sink up with warm water and add the solution i just made in the jar to it. then mix it around and add the wool covers and mix them in. then to let them sit for a bit to absorb the lanoline. this doesnt seem to be working for me cause my DD always leaks through the covers. i use the wool wash with the lanoline it it to help keep the lanoline in the cover. so im not sure what im doing wrong? so if anyone can help or give me suggestions that would be great. i have looked into the lanolizing balls but those look kinda expensive. im looking for something thats more cost effective if you know what i mean. so if anyone can help that would be great since im so not getting it to work.
Lisa

·
Banned
122 Posts
I do exactly what you do... except I use tepid water not warm water in the sink... so I have no idea! We don't have any problems w/soaking thru...
Maybe your not using enough lanolin?? I use the nursing stuff too and use about 1-1½" of a squirt.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
what is tepid water? and how do u know its tepid? i know that sounds bad but i am not sure.
:
Lisa

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajhazard
I do exactly what you do... except I use tepid water not warm water in the sink... so I have no idea! We don't have any problems w/soaking thru...
Maybe your not using enough lanolin?? I use the nursing stuff too and use about 1-1½" of a squirt.

·
Registered
5,931 Posts
Here's what I do:

fill my sink with lukewarm(tepid
) water and a squirt or two of WOW wool wash(pixie dust, yum!)

submerge my wool and let it soak for about 15-20minutes

use a glass baby food jar and use about a 1/2 inch long ribbon(depending on how many soakers or longies I have to lanolize) of Lansinoh(the purple bf'ing tube stuff!
) and a squirt of baby shampoo to emulsify and not leave you with globs of lanolin on your wool and fill halfway with water

microwave about 15 seconds until everything is melted and stir(be SO careful when you take it out. it's broiling hot!!!!!!)

add mixture to wool wash water and wool and stir gently

let soak about 20 minutes or so or until I can get back to it

drain water and gently!!! squeeze water out of the wool and then roll in a towel to remove moisture

hang dry out of direct sunlight in an area with good airflow(they dry faster that way) turning inside out and right side out every now and then to make them dry faster.

That's what I've been doing since we started with wool about 6-7months ago and we've had no problems. Best of luck!

Meg

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
okay i dont have the wow wash but can you use the eucalan wool wash? will it do the same thing? and what does soaking the covers first do? does that help to prepare them? now how many covers would that 1/2 inch long ribbon do? now when i add the solution to the water with the covers if the water is cold should i add some warm water to it? this sounds like it might work for me. never heard of adding the baby shampoo.

Quote:

Originally Posted by faerybugmady
Here's what I do:

fill my sink with lukewarm(tepid
) water and a squirt or two of WOW wool wash(pixie dust, yum!)

submerge my wool and let it soak for about 15-20minutes

use a glass baby food jar and use about a 1/2 inch long ribbon(depending on how many soakers or longies I have to lanolize) of Lansinoh(the purple bf'ing tube stuff!
) and a squirt of baby shampoo to emulsify and not leave you with globs of lanolin on your wool and fill halfway with water

microwave about 15 seconds until everything is melted and stir(be SO careful when you take it out. it's broiling hot!!!!!!)

add mixture to wool wash water and wool and stir gently

let soak about 20 minutes or so or until I can get back to it

drain water and gently!!! squeeze water out of the wool and then roll in a towel to remove moisture

hang dry out of direct sunlight in an area with good airflow(they dry faster that way) turning inside out and right side out every now and then to make them dry faster.

That's what I've been doing since we started with wool about 6-7months ago and we've had no problems. Best of luck!

Meg

·
Registered
684 Posts
I think your problem might be that you aren't adding a little baby shampoo to the water/lanolin mix. The shampoo helps to emulsify the lanolin better so it mixes with the water instead of it seperating and floating on top. I know when I don't mix in enough shampoo the lanolin will seperate and then float to the edge of the sink and my covers don't get very lanolized. Try adding some shampoo and see how that works. Whne you add the hot water to the shampoo/lanolin it should turn a milky white kind of color.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
well this is just for wool. you have to do all this to keep it working properly. thats why i am asking bout it cause i wasnt doing it right.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kontessa
You have to do things to new cloth diapers to make them work right?

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
:
:
I cut/pasted/printed those instructions since I had someone explain how to do this but didn't write it anywhere, and this sounds vber logical & easy, However, I just got a wool cover on the TP and I haven't lanolized it even once (I'm also planning to get more because I love the one I have. How often should I be doing this so as to not ruin my pretty cover?

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
I use Purelan (same thing as Lasinoh, but different brand... It's what I had on hand) and a natural goat milk baby soap bar. I followed the instructions in the Green Mountain Diapers video . My wool cover works awesomely!

Also, another thing to consider is what you have underneath the cover. Is the diaper getting soaked through?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.