Mothering Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Besides breast milk, what do your babies eat?

1) What's the usual breakfast for them?
2) What is the usual lunch?
3) What is the usual dinner?

If you could provide 2 variations of each meal it would be very helpful. I would want ds to eat a variety of healthy foods (I am not so good with healthy foods myself) but I do not know what to give him.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I am so lame about offering my 11-month-old solid food. Must get better about that. The only meal he regularly gets is dinner.

Other than breastfeeding, his day looks about like this:

Breakfast (once or twice a week, when I remember) - Stonyfield plain yogurt with blueberries mixed in, maybe a few mandarin oranges for him to pick up and eat. He usually takes a few bites of the yogurt, then loses interest.

Lunch/snacks - rarely happens, but I sometimes offer him Veggie Booty, organic baked cheese puffs (I know, cheese puffs, but they're good finger foods - easy to pick up, and they melt in the mouth), a broken-up slice of American cheese. I think that's it?

Dinner - any kind of mashed-up beans mixed in with some shredded cheese and avocado. The kid loves lentils, black beans, red beans, butter beans - as long as they're spiced well, he's all over it. I'll usually give him some canned green beans as finger food to go along with it. He also gets about 1/2 jar of pureed prunes to counteract the daily iron supps he's taking (he's anemic).

My son has some developmental delays and low oral tone, so I look at food from a different perspective than a typical mom. For instance, I don't mind giving him the cheese puffs because I view them as a tool to help him work on using the muscles in his mouth. Same with the canned green beans - not the healthiest, but they're a great texture for him, and good practice at self-feeding.

·
Registered
221 Posts
My 11-mo.-old still doesn't eat much in the way of solids, but here's a usual day:

breakfast: yogurt with fruit and/or cereal mixed in
lunch: pureed fruit with some kind of spice
dinner: pureed vegetable with some kind of spice

The quantities are very small, and I only recently discovered that he's much more likely to eat things that are spiced somewhat (no salt of course). I offer things like veggie booty and bread, and he'll play with them with his fingers, but he won't yet put anything in his mouth that's not pureed.

I'm curious about what low oral tone is? May look into that.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by sweedma View Post
I'm curious about what low oral tone is? May look into that.
sweedma, it just means that the muscles in his mouth aren't quite as developed as they should be. My son has a chromosome disorder and is in Early Intervention, and his occupational therapist is always encouraging us to offer him foods of different textures to help "wake up" his mouth. He tends to have an open-mouthed posture, and he drools a lot (I know drooling isn't uncommon for 11-month-old babies, but still) - simply because he doesn't get the message to swallow the saliva that collects in his mouth. We're working on helping him to have more control where his lips/tongue are concerned. He's actually doing really well for the most part, but I'll feel like we're really getting somewhere when he starts keeping his mouth closed and cuts back on his drooling.

It's interesting you say your son prefers spiced foods. Our OT swears that children with a little bit of low tone in their mouths will prefer spicy foods to bland. That is definitely the case with my son - one of his favorite foods is my red beans and rice, complete with cayenne pepper.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
my grandson almost 12 months eats almost anything we eat. He also likes the veggie booty and cheese puffs. He is very fond of yogurt and cottage cheese. He will munch on bread, rice, cereal puffs. He likes bananas, pears, beans, shredded cheese. He wants to eat especially anything that grandpa is eating
lol

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
My baby is 12 months old (today!!!) and here's her usual daily meals:

Breakfast: 4 prunes put through the babyfood grinder, rehydrated with either organic yogurt or bm + 1/4 banana + couple tbsp yogurt, all mixed together (don't knock it 'til you try it, this is actually really tasty)

OR substitute oatmeal for the prunes.

OR pancakes, or french toast (treats)

Pre-nap snack: some of: cheese, ham, lyoner sausage, ripe pears, oranges, leftover veggies from previous night, Veggie Booty

Lunch: usually leftovers, or similar to snack

Dinner: whatever we're having, usually meat cut up into little bits, vegetables (she likes leafy greens better than carrots/peas etc) pasta, rice, potatoes, etc. Last night for example she ate saffron rice, morroccan beef stew, and roasted veggies, with some cooked mixed fruit for dessert. (I just take those blends of frozen fruit and cook them in a saucepan and add a little cornstarch to thicken the juices - grownups get this on icecream
)

I am constantly amazed by what she is able to eat, even with no molars.

ETA: DD nurses about 4-6 times a day, more on weekends when I'm home. She has been taking less from the boob and more from people food lately. And she'll go 6 or 7 hours at night without nursing quite happily, sometimes 8.

·
Registered
3,611 Posts
My DS is almost 12 months. Some things he eats:
Oats mixed with fruit and a bit of yogurt
Plain whole milk yogurt mixed with fruit
Pieces of banana, pear, sweet potato, potato
Spaghetti squash (chopped up)
Cheerios
Brown rice and lentils
Little pieces of bread or graham crackers
Veggie Booty or Pirate Booty
Ricotta cheese

I might give him any of those foods at any meal. I don't think of certain foods as being only for breakfast or only for dinner. (Not for DS, anyway.)

He still drools a lot. More than ever, actually. Now I'm wondering about the low tone thing. Maybe I should try giving him spicier food and see if he likes it.

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
ds is 11 months old this week. His daily eating goes something like this (though he's been off solids a bit lately):

Breakfast: oatmeal or malt-o-meal with flax seeds, mixed with pureed fruit
Lunch: usually a jar of baby food (he's at daycare) though I've been trying to get organized enough to send real food--couscous with potato and pumpkin or something like that

Snack: goat's milk yoghurt, fruit (banana or something), sometimes cheerios or puffs

Dinner: ideally, rice or other grain with veggies, though he's been refusing dinner lately. We're vegetarians.

He'll also snack on bits of bread or toast, crackers, other fruit--anything he can pick up. I'm trying to work on mixing up his food a bit more and getting more table food in there.

He has 2 bottles of breastmilk at daycare, nurses when he gets home and about every 3 hours at night.

·
Registered
906 Posts
DD is 11 months old.
Breakfast is almost always Cheerios. Sometimes if I'm having eggs I'll give her some of those; occasionally she has oatmeal. But Cheerios are her favorite.
Lunch is usually yogurt & crackers, and most of the time a banana.
Dinner depends - I try to give her some of whatever we're having, but if it's just not practical then I'll puree up a veggie for her.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
We've been having trouble with this as well, but here is a sampler of our day (DD is 10 months later this week):

Breakfast: oatmeal with applesauce and cinnamon and banana chunks or
rice or kamut puffs and chopped up grapes (I don't peel them even though the peels go right thru - I'm too lazy)

Lunch: today she had bagel bits, cheese cubes and grapes, but sometimes she gets other fruit, depending on what came with our organic fruit and veg delivery (eg. mango, nectarine, plum, pear, mandarin oranges, apricot, peach)

Dinner: bits of whatever we are having - eg. baked potato, squash, couscous salad, pasta, beans, vegetable samosa, brown rice along with some more fruit and maybe some bread or toast

She has just started to eat more (and by more I mean, she will eat 3 grapes or 2 slices of banana along with some cereal or bagel), and I'm trying to make sure she gets a variety each day, and some new taste every 3 or 4 days, but some days go better than others.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
DD just turned 12 months...she's nursing tons and just starting to eat a bit more solid food...I'm pretty lax about offering meals, but am starting to put bits out for her to graze throughout the day, since that seems to be what she prefers....

this is what I offer, not necessarily what she eats!

breakfast:
--goat milk or regular whole milk yogurt mixed with flax oil or flax seed me
-- banana chunks
--homemade waffle pieces (I make with whole wheat flour, flax, etc)

lunch (combo of 2 or more of these):
--bits of cheese
--bread or homemade crackers
--hummus
--whatever fruits and veggies are around (steamed broccoli, bites of my apple, watermelon, etc.)
--tofu chunks

dinner:
--whatever we are having (beans, veggies, pasta, etc) and a bit of something I know she'll like (cheese, tofu, fruit)

·
Registered
603 Posts
My son just also made a big jump into solids. I try to vary it daily, but sometimes just rely on the good ole tried and true stuff. For breakfast: usually a dry cereal (he HATES oatmeal texture), pancakes, french toast, or waffles. I try to get a yoghurt in for a snack sometime during the day. Lunch: cheese, either cubed cheddar or string cheese, whole wheat crackers, a veggie (carrots, peas, green beans, sweet potato) and some fruit. Dinner is usually what we are having. The kids loves pasta and ravioli and beans as well. I am bad at offering new foods since my hubbie and other boys are so picky. I found www.wholesomebabyfood.com was a great resource for ideas. Also, I wouldn't say my son eats meals per se. He has always been a snacker. He still nurses 4-5 times during the day and at least once at night (which up until a few weeks ago, it was twice at night). I hope this helps!

·
Registered
11,593 Posts
My 12-month-old eats oatmeal, yogurt, or cut-up fruit for breakfast. Whatever the daycare feeds her for lunch, which is probably just this side of junk, but she doesn't eat really well for them anyway, so I figure she gets about 3-4 bites maximum. For supper, she eats whatever we're having, usually about the half the size of a regular older child portion.

·
Registered
4,393 Posts
Breakfast: diced fruit and cottage cheese, applesauce spread on toast
Lunch: macaroni and cheese and fruit, or a sandwich cut into squares and fruit, dinner leftovers, an avocado and crackers, cheese slices and fruit
Dinner: whatever we are having. Some favorites are lasagne, meatloaf, and tacos.

·
Registered
487 Posts
DD is underweight and fussy so we nurse lots and have to still feed quite a bit of baby food (we try to use organic) or make our own to feed to her.

Nurse twice before I go to work.

Breakfast is usually cut ripe fruit or YoBaby yogurt (although she has been refusing lately) and cherrieos.

She then goes to daycare.
2 oz bottle

Stage 3 baby food
2 oz bottle

After naptime high iron cookie or cracker (we are dealing with lead issues)
6 oz bottle

Nurses when I pick her up.

She then has supper with us and eats what we eat. Like if I make chicken pot pie, she has the innerds with the peas, carrots, potatoes, chicken. If we are eating crappy, like pizza, I usually make something for just her. Like a baked sweet potatoe and a peice of fruit.

We then nurse once more, and then a bedtime nursing.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Ds is 10 months and just eats bits of whatever I'm eating (unless it's something I know he can't have which is rare...like honey or something). We share cooked potatoes, apple, cooked carrots, pear, chicken, ground beef, yogurt, well....pretty much whatever I'm eating I'll give him some. In tiny bits for him to pick up himself. It's really easy this way. I don't make special meals for him. He nurses quite a bit too, especially at naptime.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.