Mothering Forum banner

What do your young toddlers play with?

575 views 17 replies 18 participants last post by  bdoody11 
#1 ·
We are coming up to grandparental visits and birthdays, so I am looking for ideas of things to suggest when the grandparents ask what the kids want/need. It seems crazy that I have no idea what my eldest was doing at this age, but I just can't remember.

Any ideas?

#2 ·
Pots, pans, the cats, wooden salad bowls, measuring cups . . .
Seriously, my 11 month (today) old son really likes real stuff he sees us using. As far as "toys," he is loving taking apart Duplos, putting together a set of stacking/nesting cups, and is starting to try to add blocks to the top of a stack - although this more often results in a collapse of the structure rather than making it taller

#3 ·
DD started being into Playmobil 1-2-3 soon after turning one. Dolls with a doll stroller were a huge hit for both of my kiddos. Outside riding toys, a push lawnmower, and a wagon are all good investments. Nesting boxes are a great, all purpose toy that they can begin to use as containers at one.

Two of my favorite gifts for one-year-olds are the mouse car and People Mover.

Have fun celebrating!
-e

#5 ·
My DS's favorite toys from his first birthday are a push-along dog (like this) and a pull-along caterpillar (like this). The both make clackety-clack noises as they go along. He LOVES them.

He has just recently (at 16 months) started to be able to stack simple wooden blocks. He also really likes Duplo, especially the pieces from our set that shake/rattle.

And of course, he loves to play with anything he can snag out of a locked cabinet. Faves right now are the set of measuring cups, a kitchen scale, and the handheld (immersion) blender. Also spoons. The big slotted kind are a hit.

#7 ·
How much can you afford to spend?

If you're swimming in money, I'd recommend getting them a Learning Tower. (about $180) My son uses this daily and it provides tons of opportunities for helping in the kitchen. Mom and Dad will be grateful to have this:
http://www.amazon.com/Little-Partner.../dp/B0006HFQ74

If you've got a bit less, but still extravagant ($72), my son loves his push wagon. It's ultra safe, they can stand on the edge and it won't fall over. He still rides in it, puts his animals in it, etc.:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/se...rocess=default

For books:
I'd recommend any of the mini-masters books. There's 10 total, I think. Best buy option ($14) is set of 4:
http://www.amazon.com/Mini-Masters-B...4735232&sr=8-1

Similar to that is touch the art. There's 4 total:
http://www.amazon.com/Touch-Art-Feed...4735302&sr=1-2

For a bit older, closer to 2, you could consider an art easel. For the dry erase side we use glass/window markers. They don't smell like dry erase and they are WASHABLE. (Yup, came right out of the new couch.) They do need to be cleaned from the erase board and windows with a wet sponge. We keep the chalk out all the time and bring out the markers when we can supervise more closely. Or, if the windows in their house are cooperative, bypass the easel and just get the window markers.

Also, bathtub crayons are way fun.

#8 ·
DS is 15 months, he is just starting to enjoy role play type toys. pretend food and dishes are popular and he's starting to cuddle big sisters doll so I think we'll get him his own soon.

He likes the very simple blocks form his walker wagon thing. The bigger set of blocks with lots of shapes and sizes he doesn't bother with (except to empty the box
)

He likes putting the fisher price little people into thier vehicles and pushing them along.

I think he'll like the brio trains soon

#12 ·
At 18 months, he loves anything with wheels. "Car!" He also likes to read books.

He has a ride on car, if you do plastic. http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...search75225-20

Some of the $1 trains/cars/airplanes from the Target $1 section. A train from a craft show (he loves this). A tricycle and a big Tonka metal dump truck for outside.

Pretty much, if there are no wheels, it just gets pushed to the back.

#17 ·
DD plays with: the sandbox in the backyard, my old Yamaha keyboard that has different sounds and beats on it, books of all kinds, stuffed animals/loveys, toys that stack and sort, HABA push walker (it has a seat for a friend in the front), the wall mirror in her room, tupperware, spoons, measuring cups, etc., musical instruments like little drums, shakers, tambourine, harmonica, fingerpaints. The list goes on and on.

#18 ·
My 13mo loves these nesting boxes. We build towers for her and she knocks them down. It is always a hit! She also loves her musical instruments (like Meggles said, drums, tamborine, shakers). We have this set. DD is also just getting into puzzles (well, mainly throwing the pieces, but she's actually learning to put them together too). We have this one from Melissa and Doug.

Board books are great gifts as are CDs (Putumayo, Laurie Berkner, and Dan Zanes are favorites).

Also, check out www.oompa.com. You can find toys by age and even make a wishlist. It's one of my favorite site.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.