Mothering Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a pinching sensation in my left breast almost at my armpit. I've had mastitis before but it doesn't feel like this. Is it a plugged duct ya think? I've already started the vit c, extra water, massaging and warm compresses. I sure as heck don't want mastitis. It's worse than the flu.

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
Do you wear nursing bras with underwire? Do you wear tight nursing bras? Have you been out and about recently, wearing more restrictive clothing than usual? Have you had a stressful day recently? Missed a feeding?

Those are the questions I'd ask myself.

I've had Mastitis too, and it's hard to miss... I'm not sure what this is you describe. But I have had pain from too-tight bras in the past, so that could be it?

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes it could be the bra. I only have one bra that holds my boobs in (due to being EXTREMELY lopsided) and it's a tiny bit tight (but not too bad). I've had mastitis a few times and it definately hasn't reached that yet and I'm trying to avoid it. I have just never had this pinching feeling before. Wonder if any of you maybe had that right before you got mastitis?

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
I can't say that I've ever noticed a "pinching" feeling. The few times I've had plugged ducts I've noticed it more by touch, usually when using the Marmet massage technique. But as I think about it there probably was a physical sensation that clued me in first, but it's been so long since I've had a plugged duct that I don't remember it. If I had to guess I would say it was probably more a sensation of warmth. But then again, I never had one in the location you describe and that might make a difference.

I think the big diagnostic question is whether you feel a lump or not.
~Cath

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
For me, I only feel the fullness of the milk gland that is plugged up. My boob feels lumpy in the area of the plug. Usually, I can see a little white speck on the nipple at the particular duct that is plugged.

·
Premium Member
6,630 Posts
i get them all the time
and often near my armpit.

Is it hard where it is pinching? Is it a little bit red?

The only thing that helps me is lots of nursing...

·
Registered
362 Posts
I had the same thing happen when I first started nursing,left side too. I have some of those pad things you can heat up, so I put one in my bra,kept heating them up for about an hour or so,then took a long,warm shower and massaged my breast and also used the hand-held shower attatchment w/ very warm water. Then I got out & nursed him on that side,and had DH bring me very warm wet wash cloths for an hour or so,just put them on my breast above ds's mouth . I was much better by morning. Good luck,hope you are feeling better soon!!

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
My plugged duct started of feeing sore in the duct behind it (all the way up to the left armpit). Then a few hours later there was a red circle on the side of my breast. Then a few hours later there was a little knot right where the circle had been.

No pinching at the time, but I have had pinching sensations on occasion since, and they didn't develop into any problems.

I have a cloth bean bag full of flax seeds. I microwaved that to get it hot and then used it on the knot to melt the fat molecules forming the clot.

Also, when I got my plugged duct, I hadn't yet worn a bra at all since the birth. So, bras are not always to blame.

·
Registered
672 Posts
I've had plugged ducts & it's just a general soreness accompanied by a lump in one area of one breast. Massage, warm compresses & completely draining the breast works for me (I even pump sometimes if nursing alone doesn't drain it enough). I have had several PDs & have not gotten mastitis. Just keep on top of it until the lump goes away.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Annie37 View Post
I had the same thing happen when I first started nursing,left side too. I have some of those pad things you can heat up, so I put one in my bra,kept heating them up for about an hour or so,then took a long,warm shower and massaged my breast and also used the hand-held shower attatchment w/ very warm water. Then I got out & nursed him on that side,and had DH bring me very warm wet wash cloths for an hour or so,just put them on my breast above ds's mouth . I was much better by morning. Good luck,hope you are feeling better soon!!

I have those same pads things, and they ROCK. After one reeeeealy rough bout of mastitis, I use them at the first twinge of ANYTHING, and they work great. They stay warm way longer than a regular hot compress!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.