Mothering Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
984 Posts
(sigh)

Does it matter? I mean really, does it?

You're you. You seem to have survived to age whatever. Well enough to have a child and health insurance. AS is a broadly descriptive label which doesn't, and cannot change whatever it's labeling. It's a category.

Don't worry about it. If the label is useful for your son in terms of getting him things he needs, great, but again, there's no need to take this terribly seriously. I live in universityland, I've just rented an apt to a young PhD just out of the math dept, we spent the whole apt showing dropping things and making glancing eye contact, and I'm sure he's a very nice and enormously anxious fella who's good at what he does and will pay the rent timely. I will attempt to remember what I've done with the checks and deposit them before his head explodes because the check hasn't yet cleared. Everything is, as they used to say, copacetic.

· Registered
984 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Justthatgirl View Post
I'm just wondering what other female aspies were like as children and how you are now as adults w/ kids of your own.
Oh, I missed this part. I don't like the term "aspies", sounds like a Girl Scout club down at the sanatorium ("Hi! I'm _____, and I'm an Aspie! Who're you?"), but --

You know, I spent some time freaking out about this too, and I think it's not worth it. You do the best you can. Just keep reminding yourself that you can't sink into your own world for more than a few minutes at a time in their company (unless they're busy), find them more social role models, and before you get upset at something they're doing, compare it to what's normal. I find myself getting very upset with how deeply my daughter fears what other people think, and have to remind myself that this is normal, and not necessarily a sign that she's going to grow up unable to take an ethical stand or follow her heart. And you can train the kids to tell you explicitly if they're upset about something. The problem, of course, is that your response may be unsatisfactory to them, but you can try.

If your kid's weird too, though, sounds like you're home free.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.