Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have friends who laugh, or ar shocked when I say that DS's (who is 3) bedtime is usually around 7-7:30. They think that seems really early. But bedtime is only when the whole deal starts. Falling asleep time is usually not until 8:30. Like right now he's singing in his dark room, and probably won't be asleep for another 15-20 minutes.

What does your "bedtime" really mean?

Here's what ours usually means:
Around 7:15--go upstairs, turn on the AC, get naked and read one book
Then, go to the bathroom and do teeth brushing, peeing, etc, (but not bath)
Back to the room for another book and getting on PJs
Nursing starts around 7:40...lasts about 15-20 minutes.
Then it's drink of water, sing a song, tell a little story, and "stay for a little"
By the time I leave the room it's about 8:05.
Then he usually calls DP back for a "stay for alittle"
After that he sings to himself for 10-30 minutes!

With all of that, we HAVE to start as early as we do, or "asleep time" (maybe that's the new word I should use) would be way to late for our 6 am riser!

·
Registered
9,322 Posts
Dd is also 3, and our "bedtime" means we (or she and dh) go into her room at 8:30,
sing songs,
read books,
play quietly together,
chat about our day,
lie down to sleep,
get up to pee,
lie down to sleep again,
get up for a glass of water,
lie down to sleep,
get up for a different stuffed animal,
lie down to sleep,
get up for a few crackers or cheerios,
lie down to sleep,
then finally she falls alseep around 9:15-ish.
:

·
Registered
52 Posts
That's definitely not early for us! Our bedtime routine starts around 6:15 -- bath, teeth, then prayers and books in dd's room with both dd & ds, then books for ds alone in his room, and then music on with a cuddle by 7:00. Then, I give the baby her last bottle (I'm EPing due to a cleft palate) -- and my husband and I have our evenings to ourselves by 7:30! I get to walk the dog, fold the laundrey, pump, shower, and usually to bed by 9:00. Granted the three kids are usually up by 6:00, but I'm more of a morning person than an evening person so it works for us.

Many of our friends can't believe how early ours are in bed, but many of them are working moms so they cherish the time they have with their kids after work. By 7:00, I'm exhausted and definitely need some alone time!

·
Registered
4,182 Posts
we don't have a bedtime routine-they get their jammies and brush their teeth, and we read together, but they're free to sleep when they're ready. DD#1 stays up until 11 or so, and dd #2 falls asleep by 8 pm.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
My kids are naturally pretty much night owls - late sleepers so in the summer, we usually do bedtime routine from 8:30 or 8:45 and wrap it up/they go to sleep at 9:00. They usually sleep until 8 or 9 though so it is a nice long amount of time to sleep. However, if we are doing something fun and they have no place to be in the morning we will even let it go until 10
:

BJ
Barney & Ben

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Is my 3 year old the only one where every night is midnight or later...? He has our biorythms I suppose. We play, cuddle, and usually read or watch a movie... Last night it was almost 3am
But usually midnight-ish....

·
Registered
9,431 Posts
When DS gets older, I guess "bedtime" will mean the time we *start* the whole bedtime routine, but for now, since he doesn't have a concept of time, I say his bedtime is 7:30, but that's really *after* his bedtime routine, when he actually falls asleep.

We do his bath at about 6:45, then read books or come downstairs for some milk and a snack (depending on how late he had dinner), then brush teeth and tuck him in at 7:30 -- he's usually out within minutes, but lately he's been singing to himself, too -- it's so cute! We just sit there and listen on the monitor with big "awwwww"-type smiles on our faces.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
If it makes you feel better my ten year old goes to bed at 8 and is always asleep by 8:30. He needs a lot of sleep.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Our "bedtime" around here is usually about 6:30-7pm. Both dc's take a very short time to actually fall asleep so bedtime routine and sleeptime are essentially the same thing. Right after dinner, at about 6pm it's a quick bath on bath nights, jammies and brush teeth. Dd is then nursed to sleep. Ds gets a story or two and then someone lies down with him until he's asleep (takes about 5-10 minutes). Both dc's are usually asleep by 7pm. They wake at 6am. Works great for us!

·
Registered
7,130 Posts
bedtime starts around 8:00 in the summer. potty, brush teeth, wash up, read a book, sing a song & lights out/sleep by 8:30. it's a quick routine & hasn't changed much in at least a year & 1/2!

·
Registered
243 Posts
I consider bedtime to be when I leave the bedroom, although it will be another 30 minutes at least before DS is asleep - he likes to read his books by the nightlight for a while, and then sing/talk to himself for a while. I try to hit bedtome by 8:30 if he naps, 7:30 if no nap.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
I think people use the term "bedtime" to mean the time your child is IN BED and trying to fall asleep.

They use the term "bedtime routine" to mean when you are preparing for being in bed.

SIGH....I miss the bedtime routine. Now my big girls (10, 11 and almost 13) do everthing themselves. Undress, shower, brush teeth, read. All I get to do is come in and say goodnight!

I miss the routine! But they don't!

·
Registered
11,167 Posts
The kids are usually asleep by around 9:30pm (summer). Ds1 would be asleep earlier, more around 8:30, but ds2 doesn't go to sleep until 9 at least, and there is no way one of them will sleep when the other is awake. So around 8:30-9, we brush teeth, wash up, get naked/put on pj's, climb into bed, read some books, and then dh lays with ds1 while I nurse ds2. As soon as they are both asleep, dh and I stumble out into the living room and collapse on the couch.

During the winter bedtime can be as early as 7:30, but usually around 8-8:30.

·
Registered
37 Posts
My kids are 8,5 & 2 - we start the bedtime routine at 8 in the summer and 7:30 during the school year. After pj's, teeth, potty and a book or two they lay down. My oldest usually reads for another 15-30 mins until she is tired, but most nights the 5 year old falls alsleep pretty quick.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Unfortunately I gave birth to a nightowl. My husband and I would love to go back to our old 9pm bedtime, meaning that's when we got in bed and within 15 minutes we were fast asleep. DS has only fallen asleep before 9:30pm a handful of times his whole life. That half hour doesn't sound like a big deal but here's what our dragged-out nights look like:

Right after dinner, usually around 7:00--go upstairs
Ask DS to "do his routine"
Beg DS to "do his routine"
Tell DS that if he does not do his routine, then no storytime
DS brushes his teeth
DS pees (lots of resisting here)
DS washes his hands
DS drinks glass of water
I put on his nighttime diaper
DS selects his pajama
I put it on (lots of resisting here)
Then, DS selects three books to read
DS gets in bed
I or DH read three books
DS asks for three MORE books
We say no, let's listen to audiobook instead
We all listen together for about 20 minutes, lights off
We try to leave the room but DS asks for glass of milk
By the time I leave the room it's about 9:15
Usually he drifts off to sleep within the next half-hour or so...

I tell folks that ask, that his bedtime is 9:30 meaning that's generally when he falls asleep. Our friends know that we have to be home by 7:00 to get him ready. It is exhausting for me, because he does not nap during the day anymore.

·
Registered
7,237 Posts
I also have a night owl.
For us bedtime is the time dd (6) usually goes to sleep and that changes throughout the month. The bedtime process consists of final snack, bath, teeth brushing, story, lullaby tape and sleep.
For a week or 2, she'll get ready for bed and be in bed around 9 or 9:30 PM. Then it will be a little later. Then it will be midnight. Then it will be 5AM and we are sleeping during the day. Gradually we will work around to going to bed at 8AM, noon, early evening and then back to 9PM again. Part of our issue is dd wanting to stay up to see dh who gets home from work at 9PM.

A bedtime of 7-8:30 every night sounds blissfully early to me compared to what dd does. If you told me that I'd probably start crying instead of laughing or being shocked.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by embers
Is my 3 year old the only one where every night is midnight or later...? He has our biorythms I suppose. We play, cuddle, and usually read or watch a movie... Last night it was almost 3am
But usually midnight-ish....
Nope, you're not the only one. Our whole family goes to bed together every night about 10:30. We read to him and he falls asleep about 11-ish, and then we continue reading until we're ready for lights out.

--Olive

·
Registered
7,499 Posts
"Bedtime" for us is when we go into our bedroom to read him books and sing songs.

6:30 snack
6:50 teeth and wash up
7:00 in mom and dad's bed for "bedtime"
For the next 20 minutes we read books
Next 10 minutes we sing songs together
Cuddle for a few minutes and he's always asleep by 8

Baby gets cuddles and songs in his room at 6:30 and rocked to sleep. Sometimes takes me 5 minutes to get him sleeping, sometimes takes an hour. Depends on the day.

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
Until last summer our crew started bedtime routine at 7 and we asleep by
7:30.

My oldest wanted to stay up later at the beginning of last summer. During the school year the kids are in bed by eight and all are asleep by eight thirty, except our oldest (now 11). He reads until lights out at nine.

During the summer the kids have been going to bed anywhere between eight thirty and ten.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.