Mothering Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking into setting up a store at freewahmhosting.com, and it says i get 1 FTP acct...what is that??

TIA!

·
Registered
5,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
well, nevermind!

Quote:
Free WAHM Hosting is no longer accepting new clients. We put several months into this project and have enjoyed the process. However, we can no longer afford to offer free hosting space.
oh well, anyone know what that means? does it mean i get a shopping cart or anything? there's another site Im' looking at that also does free hosting, and it offers a FTP account, but i cant find what that is!

·
Registered
542 Posts
I believe FTP is an acronym for File Transfer Protocol if I recall correctly. It means they give you space on a server for uploading/downloading of files. Free hosting means they will host a website. Generally there is a size limitation for both of those so you should ask about that. I.E. if you go over a certain size you will be charged.

·
Premium Member
2,785 Posts
Yup, file transfer protocol.

You can get a great hosting account on a UNIX server for less than $5 a month, many places. I know, free is free.

A free hosting account will either have size limitation, transfer limitations (that is, the number of times your files can be "transferred" or seen across the web), or require an ad on your page. Maybe these things aren't biggies for you, of course.

What software will you be using to create your account? If you are using Frontpage (not that I particularly recommend it, but lots of folks do!) then you should get a host that offers Frontpage access, not simply FTP. I think FTP seems a little harder for people to do.

·
Registered
5,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hmm, see, i dunno anything about this stuff, lol. DH and BIL are the ones that know this sort of thing, and i'm going to have them help me, i'm just trying to research for myself so i dont sound like a total doofus, lol.

i had planned on just using a template that the site offers, but i may have to make my own somehow.

thanks for the answers!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.