Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read all of the descriptions online about how early baby kicks feel like a flutter or a gas bubble. I've been having this very particular feeling that I haven't seen described in any of the articles. It feels like a very swift jab, and hurts a tiny bit, and I've been feeling it off and on for a few weeks now. Some days it will come every 5 minutes for a couple of hours. Other days I'll only feel it a couple of times.

It feels different than the general stretching ligament pain I'm having in my hips. It's very localized in the uterus and I've wondered if it's baby boy making his presence known. What do you think?

(Speaking of making his presence known, my belly is really starting to pop. I'm not going to be able to wear my regular clothes soon.)

·
Registered
80 Posts
To me, the very first movements feel like gas. Then once you can identify them, they do feel different.

It helps if you know your baby position. Most of the times finger and hand movements are more subtle than a kick or than a whole body movement. None of the baby movements hurt this early in the pregnancy, at least not to me. They start hurting once the baby is growing out of space.

Do you always feel this movement on the very same spot? Does it come after you are eating or drinking water?

·
Registered
217 Posts
My first two pregnancies I was certain I left the baby's movement from around 12 weeks. That's super early but I think it's because I was so very, very ill that there was basically no digestive process going on, I had become underweight, and was too weak to do much but lie in bed and be aware of the tiny little flutters! And they were flutters... Like a finger brushing gently on top of a thick sweater, very slight but repeated enough I was sure it was the baby. (Third time you'd think I'd be sensitized to it, but being not so sick and keeping very busy with work and family I actually wasn't aware of much until quite recently!)

Later on, around 20-22 weeks, I began feeling the more definite movements, and the most noticeable to me then were I think the baby doing somersaults - almost a 'lurch' or 'thank-you-ma'am' type feeling in the pit of my belly! Sensations of a gentle push like my belly was being tugged from inside in one direction.

Towards the end, when the baby was getting cramped, sometimes she would get one foot lodged just on the edge of my bottom rib and push and push until her foot actually slipped off my rib - that kind of hurt! And of course the head pressure against your cervix at that point - the baby turns their head back and forth a bit often as they settle into place. It's a weird feeling but you know it's good if they are finding the best position for navigating the way out through those bones!

So I would also say the earlier movements of the baby were never painful, though at the end once in a while. Things that can hurt earlier on: the round ligament pain for sure, which I had more of early on this time than ever before. Your intestines moving into new places are they make way for the growing uterus. I had some fairly sharp, short, repeated pain for several weeks that seemed to be right over one of my ovaries which was a bit mysterious but has stopped. Things like bladder infections and kidney stones are always possible but more distinct in where you feel it.

Gotta run - fun to try to describe those secret sensations though!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts