Mothering Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw some dipes on ebay that said they were made under the Fuzzi Bunz patent. What does that cover? Can you make pocket dipes... I know other wahms do it, and I've never heard it was under the patent. Does it just have to meet certain criteria....I'm curious just for information's sake, and also because I make pockets (but I don't sell them; I just use them, but what if I wanted to sell them someday?) Thanks!

·
Registered
136 Posts
Hi Kim,<br>
Those are good questions!<br>
MOE has patented the pocket diaper system, so now you cannot make and sell pocket dipes legally without purchasing a license from her. There is a small fee. Even if you are licensed under anothet contractor, you still have to go through MOE to be legal for the pockets now. It's all real new... I think her website is <a href="http://www.pocketdiapers.com" target="_blank">www.pocketdiapers.com</a><br>
HTH!

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
If they give out info including the patent number, you can get a copy at the USPTO office web site <a href="http://www.uspto.gov/patft/index.html" target="_blank">http://www.uspto.gov/patft/index.html</a> and read it for yourself. Assuming it's an issued patent, keep in mind that the invention that is actually covered by the patent is only what is in the claims. The claims are the numbered statements at the end of the patent.<br><br>
You can also do a search at the PTO web site. It's pretty complicated to do a good patent search. If you know who the inventors/assignees are it's much more straightforward.

·
Registered
5,421 Posts
So all the WAHMs who make a pocket-style diaper are required to pay a licensing fee? If I ask a WAHM who doesn't usually make pockets if she will make one that way for me as a custom, is she required to pay the fee first? What about Canadian pocket-diaper-makin' mamas? Are they obligated the same way as people in the US?<br><br>
I've been curious about these questions for a while myself!

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
I haven't seen her patent, but it would depend on the wording of the allowed patent claims and how broad they are.<br><br>
An issued patent gives the holder the right to keep others from making, using or selling the patented invention. If someone else was making an item that is covered by another's patent and the patent holder knew about it, the patent holder could sue for infringement. Of course, there is a legal expense involved in doing so, so whether or not they did would be up to them.<br><br>
If the issued patent is a US patent, the right to bar others from making, using or selling pertains to the US. The patent holder may (or may not) have also sought patent protection in other countries.

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
nak<br>
patent # on every fb label<br>
claims under patent search include pretty much every conceivable type of pocket diaper

1 - 7 of 7 Posts