Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today, out of nowhere, I feel terrible--tired, weak, dizzy and my face is flushed. I also have an irregular heartbeat (which I have had every once in a while as long as I can remember--like once every several months--but it's been most of the day on and off today)

I just had a MW appt. yesterday and my BP was good. I also eat lots of food with iron, so it would seem weird for it to be anemia (I've never been anemic). Any ideas for me?

·
Registered
502 Posts
I checked Anne Frye (are you familiar with her?) and since your BP and iron levels are okay, she says that:

dizziness -- occurs due to hormonal fluctuations; one of the main reasons pregnant women get dizzy is hypoglycemia (she suggests getting juice ASAP to help relieve a dizzy spell)

Also, the heart pounding is probably related to the steadily increasing blood volume (which can cause your BP to decrease, which can cause lightheadedness). As for being flushed, my guess is either the blood increase or hormonal fluctuation . . . I'll have to check further on that. FYI: I've been experiencing the heart pounding and the flushed face thing, too.
:

As for the tiredness, all I can say is make sure to stay hydrated and watch your protein intake!

HTH.

·
Registered
4,150 Posts
It is possible you have high blood pressure even though it was normal in the office. I have felt that way before with mine although most of the time I am normal at home and high in the office. My OB visit on 3/13 I was 120/76 which is the lowest I have been. I went home sick Friday for the reasons you discribe and my BP was 143/83. So for me it was my blood pressure. I have to check it on one of those machines in the drug store at least once a week. It is the heart palpatations that usually indicate to me it is different than normal I don't feel right pregnancy stuff.

ETA: I pointed out how low my BP was to my OB and she said it normally drops in the 2nd tri and then rises again in the 3rd. I was 143/93 from the start with this baby though.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I'm maybe not the best person the answer this right now since I'm having heart issues but if it was me I would get a drink and sit or lay down until it passes. I have an irregular heartbeat too but when my heart speeds up I feel how you do. Light headed and dizzy. Apparently I get that way because my blood pressure drops.

Just keep an eye on it and talk to your care provider if you get worried.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
You might also be just coming down with something <I hate to say!> But you've got some good suggestions above. I'd eat, drink juice, lie down, and talk to your MW if you're concerned or don't feel better.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
I'd second with the hypoglycemia...my metformin gives me bouts of it and I feel exactly the way you describe (spelled that wrong 3 times...lol)....juice helps alot...and i feel a bit better..

I remember the heart pounding and mine would actually skip a beat, I could feel it. so I called my MW's office (4 MW's, 5 OB's) and she was off delivering so i got an appt with one of the OB's (all the MW's were booked...grrr) and went in....he came in to chat with me and asked what was up and I was obviously pretty worried and harried (first child) and I told by him, "Yeah, you're pregnant and have alot of extra blood rushing through your veins...nothing to worry about...OF COURSE, I could set you up with a cardiologist appt and they can run some tests if you want but...." I said no, thanks....and left...

I WAS SOOOO PO'd at him...

My MW called me later that afternoon to check on me and mentioned the same thing but in a nicer way...said it happens sometimes, esp when I have been doing alot and the hormones and such add to it all....LOVE HER!!

I would just watch it for a bit and see how things go and then contact them if you feel you need to again....rest when you can, drink a bit of yummy juice or eat a fresh orange (clementines here these days are yummy)....HUGS...

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone. I pretty much think I was dehydrated. I like water, but just am not normally a big drinker. I hadn't been pushing the water and would forget to drink, being too busy. I know the blood volume increases, especially around this time, so that may have something to do with it. The day before I started feeling unwell, I had a mw appt. for a blood draw, and they couldn't get any from either arm (I am normally hard to draw blood from)--I know that dehydration can make it harder. I had also started herbal tea (RRL, rosehip, nettle, oatstraw, lemonbalm, spearmint) and just read that nettle can be diuretic.

So, I have started REALLY pushing the water and I feel much better. First day after my post, I was VERY tired and weak, but clearer headed and my heart was calming down. Now I am feeling pretty normal again, so I think that was it!

Thank you
:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.