Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone called anything other than Mom or Mommy? If your kids are older, do they feel the need to defend their name for you to thier friends?

I'm asking because I don't want to be called Mom. Several reasons. I always thought it was because I am English, and all my family is mum or mummy, and mom just seemed so Canadian and I couldn't relate. Second, I've never actually called anyone mom or mummy. I lost 2 mothers early, and my "heart words" for the people that did mother me are different.

So I am trying on names. Ma, Mama, Bob (thats from ds's second "word" -bob bob bob).

Any thoughts anyone?

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
My DS mostly calls me mama. He also calls me (and dp) by first our first names quite a bit. I'm fine with either. Mom would cool with me too. One thing I don't want to be called though is mommy… That annoys me so much for some reason.

I call my mother ma.

·
Premium Member
15,484 Posts
DS1 calls me Anna, which is starting to annoy me. At first we thought it was just a phase and many mamas here at MDC suggested as much, but it's been going on for a year & a half now.

·
Premium Member
9,388 Posts
Well, right now DD calls me Ma-moo, when she calls me anthing at all. Sometimes she still gets mixed up and calls me Dada, too. (She's only 14 months.) But I plan on teaching her to call me Mama, and that's what I call myself when I talk to her. I don't like Mommy. Not sure why; just doesn't appeal to me.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
DS (8) has always left the 'mm' out of the middle of "mommy" so he calls me ma-ee unless he's irked with me and then I'm moMMy. Kinda like using my middle name.
Weird, I know..

Oh, and he calls me Makkaboo. He heard it on a cartoon and has used it ever since.. He calls daddy Makka- something else but I can't remember what it is. He's high functioning autistic (and an Aquarius) so he's just a quirky little guy!

DD (5) just calls me mama.

ETA: It's Makka DOO that DS calls his daddy. I'm Makkaboo, he's Makkadoo. I dunno.. It's kinda cute.

·
Registered
3,757 Posts
Dh and I want to be called Mama and Papa
Any day now we'll get to start calling ourselves that to a little person! EDD was yesterday...

love and peace.

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
I always liked "momma" best. And it is how I always referred to myself.
My oldest is 13 and still uses "momma" when beign affectionate, but otherwise i am just "Mom" .
My young ones used to call me "momma" too but recently switched to "mommy" all on their own. I used to correct them and tell them my name was "momma" but I gave up.
My 3 year old just these past few weeks has been using "Mom" too.
He sounds so big when he does it. I know he is copying his sister.
Joline

·
Registered
14,840 Posts
When they were little I was Mommy or Mama, and now I am Mom.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
DS is 13 months, and right now I am Mum-mum. It's so sweet to hear! I call myself Mama to him though, so that's probably what he will pick up on.

A little off topic, but he does the CUTEST thing if I ask him to say Mama. He looks right at me, gives me that mischievous grin, and says "DADA!"
He did it to my mom the other day when she was trying to get him to say "Nana." Sooo cute

·
Registered
5,813 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by annakiss
DS1 calls me Anna, which is starting to annoy me. At first we thought it was just a phase and many mamas here at MDC suggested as much, but it's been going on for a year & a half now.
what's up with that? ds calls dh "david" (his name) about 80% of the time??? he mostly calls me "mommy" but has called me "esther" a number of times? he called me essie today a few times, my nickname.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Juels calls me mommy, but I love it. She called me mama for a while, but I've never liked that word. Though anything is better than what she used to call me: Howie (Her version of Holly). Sometimes she calls me Queen, or My Love, and thats nice

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
My 26-month-old calls me Mommy, although I always referred to myself as, and thought I would be called, Mama. He calls my husband LaLa, although we have obviously never spoken of him as such. He wanted to be called Daddy. No dice.

My son is very opinionated.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.