Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does micro-terry hold odors more than hemp? what about cotton? is there a cloth diaper (or insert) material that does not retain odor (urine or otherwise) after it is washed??? what about wool? does it stink??

·
Registered
4,791 Posts
I have tried pretty much every fabric diapers are currently made of and the only two that have serious stink problems for me are hemp and micro fleece. I found that even though our hemp wasnt still stinky out of the wash, it smelled HORRIBLE after just one pee - like I couldnt even wait til the end of the day to wash because the pail smelled so bad. With micro it was more like even strait from the washer it still didnt smell clean.

I got rid of all hemp and went with an all organic cotton/organic velour stash and since then have no stink problems at all. Well, that and a new wash routine because we have super hard water.

Wool will get stinky after a lot of uses but that is when its time to wash it - since its anti-microbial it doesnt have to be washed after every use.

Good luck!

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
what is your new wash routine?? we also have super hard water...i rinse once in cold, wash once in hot, then rinse two more times in cold. should i do something different with hard water?

i have 3 sugarpeas dipes coming from the TP - and i believe they are all 3 hemp. i'm afraid i am going to regret it now.
: i HATE the smell of pee!

·
Registered
4,791 Posts
The new wash routine has more to do with what I wash with than how I actually wash them.

I start with a cold/cold rinse w/ 1/2 a cup of baking soda and a squirt of Dawn dish soap, then hot/cold wash w/ 1/2 a cap of Sportwash and 1/2 a cup of Calgon water softener (I can only find the powder but heard the liquid is better - if you can find the liquid its 1/2 a capful), then I lower the water level and do a hot wash/hot rinse and put a 1/2 a cup of vinegar in the rinse. Finally, I do just one more hot wash/hot rinse.

I dont wash many diapers at a time so starting off the water level is only on med. then I lower it to the lowest setting.

I learned this from a mama her who also lives by me so has the same hard water - she swore by it and its been working for us so far.

·
Registered
10,399 Posts
All of my diapers are organic cotton and none of them stink. All of my diaper covers are organic wool and none of them stink, either.

ETA: I wash my diapers with Bi-O-Kleen and I wash my wool with Sudz-N-Dudz.

·
Registered
5,233 Posts
I second what Sustainer said, and really, biokleen is so great. My dipes smell so fresh and clean! I would stick with OC and wool. If you really want to use microfleece for the stay dry effect, just use liners when needed. I think wool is so great because it does not retain odors or bacteria, I literally can go a month without washing wool
:. Granted I have a ton of it and I do wash more than that...but you get the point.

Stick with it mama, you're doing a good thing! You just need to find something that works for you, and you can always resell things that end up not working.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Max's Mami
I got rid of all hemp and went with an all organic cotton/organic velour stash and since then have no stink problems at all. Well, that and a new wash routine because we have super hard water.
Did you happen to try the new wash routine with the hemp before you got rid of it?

-eric

1 - 7 of 7 Posts