Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am always so curious about the things in pregnancy like coffee or no coffee? A glass of wine or no? Aspirin, sugar, sushi, mj, other herbs. What are the things that you are comfortable taking and what are you not and/or is there a time in your pregnancy that you stop? just curious.
:

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
I drank coffee in both my other pregnancies, but there was a study last year linking it more firmly to miscarriage so I gave it up (slowly) this time.

I don't drink much so giving it up is no big deal. I would take tylenol but not aspirin.

I was taking aldomet for high BP but my BP has fallen so I cut it in half and then stopped it (same thing happened to me last time and I didn't have to go back on until after the birth)

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
For the first trimester I'm being really careful about what I put in my body. So right now, it's just good healthy foods and water. The first trimester is when all the major organs and parts are forming so I want to be sure not to do anything that might screw up those very important parts!

I'm not too sure what to think about all the warnings against soft-boiled eggs, rare-cooked meat, soft-serve ice cream, sushi, etc- so until I decide/research more, I'm steering clear. And I usually don't use OTC or prescription meds- I prefer natural home remedies (garlic, acv, etc.).

I think later on in the pregnancy when mostly what baby is doing is growing bigger, I would be fine with a rare glass of wine or beer, mj, and maybe the occasional coffee or tea, herbs, etc.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Hi again

Well, I'll be doing/taking...caffeine, not a lot. 1 coke or tea 2x a day. MJ, because with out it I can barely move. And tylenol for when the mj doesn't do the complete job.

Last pregnancy I took lots and lots of prescription anti-nausia medications for HG. This pregnancy (if it sticks) I'm hoping the mj will do that job and I wont have to deal with artificial medications.

The amount of mj I smoke is very minimal. one hit from a bong a few times a day. barely any. So, I'm not worried about it too much.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by expat-mama View Post
For the first trimester I'm being really careful about what I put in my body. The first trimester is when all the major organs and parts are forming so I want to be sure not to do anything that might screw up those very important parts!
:

I'm trying to be as healthy as I can for the same reasons. No alcohol, drugs or caffeine (I'm more of a tea person so no black tea for now just a red raspberry leaf blend).

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I realized that I never answered my own quandry
I have been drinking about a 1/2 glass of beer every day or two with dinner (my husband is a homebrewer.........what can I say
) and I definetly still drink coffee (I do live the northwest after all
) I have had one hit of mj and also would do it if I had extreme nausea but so far.......so good
I am trying to stay as "clean" as possible, but also trying to relax with this pregnancy. I think all the fear and the worry that I was doing a "bad" job with my last pregnancy was due to focusing on the fact that I hadn't had my crate of kale for the day everyday. Subsequently, I ended up with days of labor which ended in a yucky c section
So, i guess that I am pretty middle of the road here. Trying to be anyway.

Here's to a relaxed c-section free delivery in 09!

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
I am also trying to be as healthy as possible - though I still indulge in at least one *sweet* a day, usually a chocolate bar.
I rarely drink caffeine, if I do it's usually green tea. I pretty much weaned myself off coffee while ttc - it gave me a horrible stomachache anyway, so it wasn't hard to give up. Oh, and I take tylenol if I absolutely need it.

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
I'm still drinking coffee. I've been pretty dependent on it lately
I've been surprised how much I've cut back so easily. Hopefully I'll be down to one cup of half caf a day pretty soon.

I haven't taking any over the counter drugs. I'm not sure what I'm comfortable taking, but I haven't had a reason to so far. I need to sit down and decide about the teas I like to drink...

I'm not drinking alcohol, but I very very rarely do that anyway. My father, at least one brother, and several other family members are alcoholics. I definitely have the same addict tendancy, so I just don't let anything like that become a habit. So, it's very easy to cut out alcohol while pregnant and nursing. It also isn't blowing my cover yet as no one thinks it's unusual for me to pass on alcohol.

I'm eating sushi, but nothing raw. I'm definitely eating fish - though I aim for farm raised organic or local wild caught. I don't eat other meat, and the fish oil is good for me. I'm not eating unpasturized cheese, but I'll eat soft cheeses I'm sure. I'm going to continue eating (organic) fresh spinach and other leafy greens.

·
Registered
12,040 Posts
I only have a half coffee mug of coffee a day. Other than that I avoid EVERYTHING even remotely unsafe. Only organic fruits and veggies for at least the first trimester, no meds period, and I am rigid about taking all 6 of my rainbow light prenatals every day. DS2 was born with a congenital heart defect and watching him endure open-heart surgery and almost die was complete hell. The causes of many heart defects are still unknown and although we only have a 3% chance of reoccurance I'm not taking any chances. Last time I was cautious also, but not as rigid.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
I'm still taking Guaifenesin for my sinus problems, although I have cut my dose in half and am going to taper off and/or take less. I'm also still taking an anti-anxiety medication which I plan to get off of after my first ob visit (in the next two weeks). I've read conflicting information about using it while pregnant, and I'd rather just get off it and suffer anxiety than hurt the baby in any way.

·
Registered
516 Posts
I don't do caffeine, alcohol, or any meds besides a prenantal. I am veg, so I don't eat meat. I eat soft cheeses, but since they are pasterurized I don't worry. I do still eat some sweets.

I will eventually start drinking RRL and nettle tea.

I guess I think balance is important. I try to eat healthy for the most part.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by sunshynbaby View Post
I'm also still taking an anti-anxiety medication which I plan to get off of after my first ob visit (in the next two weeks). I've read conflicting information about using it while pregnant, and I'd rather just get off it and suffer anxiety than hurt the baby in any way.
A friend of mine is a midwife back home and advises clients to use mj if pregnant women with anxiety problems. I think she said there is research that thc and the chemicals in mj are far less harmful than the stress hormones and chemicals passed to baby in mothers with extreme anxiety and less harmful than the chemicals in anti-anxiety drugs. She also prescribes it for really bad morning sickness.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heather Marie View Post
I will eventually start drinking RRL and nettle tea.
I have some organic RRL tea but I was unsure of when I should start drinking it. I've heard differing opinions... When will you start? After first tri?

ETA: Just saw the RRL tea tribe!

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Quote:

A friend of mine is a midwife back home and advises clients to use mj if pregnant women with anxiety problems. I think she said there is research that thc and the chemicals in mj are far less harmful than the stress hormones and chemicals passed to baby in mothers with extreme anxiety and less harmful than the chemicals in anti-anxiety drugs. She also prescribes it for really bad morning sickness.

Thanks. What does mj stand for?

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Coconut Chronicles View Post
Marijuana
lol! I feel stupid! Now you know that I'm not into that stuff. I'm oblivious to the slang.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I make all of my own cheeses from our goats milk. the cheeses are raw. Why should I be worried about soft cheeses? I haven't heard anything about that.
I love my cheese.
Any why would you want to start RRL tea later in pregancy? I drink it all of the time anyway and ecspecially now that I am preggo. Actually, it is a blend of all the yummy good for you herbs for pregnancy. I did n't realize there was a good and bad time for any organic herbs. (well except things like black cohosh etc. ) Any info?

You could also use massage for your anxiety too! Cranio sacral therapy is great for anxiety.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I'm drinking a cup of coffee in the morning and a couple of ounces of wine every other day or so with dinner. We're big wine connoisseurs here and we don't feel that that small amount can hurt. Moderation is the key. I mostly have the wine to taste it with dinner.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Massagemamma View Post
Any why would you want to start RRL tea later in pregancy? I drink it all of the time anyway and ecspecially now that I am preggo. Actually, it is a blend of all the yummy good for you herbs for pregnancy. I did n't realize there was a good and bad time for any organic herbs. (well except things like black cohosh etc. ) Any info?
RRL can cause uterine contractions/cramping- that's apparently how it can give your uterus a "work out" that is beneficial later on. I've read and heard that a lot of people wait until later on in pregnancy to drink RRL tea because uterine contractions can cause miscarriage in the first tri.

·
Registered
12,040 Posts
Quote:

RRL can cause uterine contractions/cramping- that's apparently how it can give your uterus a "work out" that is beneficial later on. I've read and heard that a lot of people wait until later on in pregnancy to drink RRL tea because uterine contractions can cause miscarriage in the first tri.
I love RRL but have to wait until later in preg to drink it because I have an excitable uterus

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
I am boring

I never drink caffeine in any form, alcohol in any form, do any "drugs" of any kind, or eat more than a little something sweet every few days. I do take tylenol occasionally, including while pg, and I take an albuterol inhaler and/or benedryl for allergic asthma, also occasionally. This last combo is the only substance I use that really worries me, but as my midwife says, it's better for the baby for me to be able to breathe than not.

I also use very few chemicals on my body or in my home. Suave shampoo and 7th generation dish soap and free & clear laundry detergent are as harsh as it gets around here.

So I don't really have to change much while pg. And I'm really boring to my health care providers when they have to fill out their paperwork on what environmental hazards I'm exposed to.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.