Mothering Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am 37 weeks pregnant and planning to bf.

But i will occasionally need to pump.

I have:
breast pads
electric pump ( from DS1)
storage bags
the bottles and nipples we will be using
I have shells i am using now to help with flat/inverted nipples

What am i leaving out? I know i need to get some lansinoh just in case.
I will probably wait to buy bras because with DS1 I bought bras a size bigger that were gargantuan and had a heck of a time returning them.

I am just feeling pretty braindead right now.

thanks!

Amy

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
I had on of those Magic Bags that you heat in the microwave and I used it on my neck during feedings in the early days. All those hours of looking down at your nursling can really take a toll on your neck!!

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
Do you have a LaLeche League contact or know when/where the meetings are? This might be a great resource to have. Each of my 3 kids were sooo different as far as nursing and LLL was so important to me!

You might be fine but you might want to be aware of having cabbage leaves on hand to help with engorgement/pain. They were great for me.

Good luck!
Many baby blessings to you

Ann

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
A "nursing station" that has a chair with wide apart arms, ds likes to kick the arms of the chair and then gets mad when he makes himself pop off. A BIG glass for water, you'll go through a little one fast, something about sitting down to nurse makes you very thirsty. and a nice cushy pillow comes in handy for moding around baby to keep him in place without him sinking down into it too far... Also make it easier to move him when he falls asleep without waking him up, just slide the pillow off your lap, if nursing on the sofa.

edited: yes, cabbage feels great!

·
Registered
867 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by amybw
Amy
Do these really help? I have the same problem but thought I read somewhere they weren't much good-but if they work, maybe I should get some. do they hurt? (I dont believe everything I read....)

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the LLL reminder. I havent been able to make it to a mtg, but have the contact info and just need to get there !

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laurel723
Do these really help? I have the same problem but thought I read somewhere they weren't much good-but if they work, maybe I should get some. do they hurt? (I dont believe everything I read....)
They didnt help with DS1, but I am willing to try lots of things to get it to work this time!
I hung onto them from last time, so didnt have to buy them. ( The hosp gave them to me.)
They dont hurt as long as they dont stick to you so if you get them, be careful when removing them. OUCH!
They do make you feel like Madonna walking around
: so I only wear them at home when no one is home except DS and me.

thanks everyone!

Amy

·
Registered
164 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by amybw
I am 37 weeks pregnant and planning to bf.

But i will occasionally need to pump.

I have:
breast pads
electric pump ( from DS1)
storage bags
the bottles and nipples we will be using

What am i leaving out? I know i need to get some lansinoh just in case.
I will probably wait to buy bras because with DS1 I bought bras a size bigger that were gargantuan and had a heck of a time returning them.

I am just feeling pretty braindead right now.

thanks!

Amy
Good idea to wait to buy the bras!

·
Registered
6,010 Posts
Earplugs and blinders to tune out anyone thinks you "can't" breastfeed if you have any troubles. I was home not even a week and dealing with engorgement and an angry baby who couldn't latch, and was told "maybe you just need to use formula. It's not the end of the world you know...."
Yeah earplugs and blinders for sure

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So true!
I had a nightmare the first time around! I am SO NERVOUS that it is going to happen again!

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
The only things you need to breastfeed are ONE breast and ONE arm. Anything else is really gravy. Please don't get hung up on thinking you need a lot of stuff. I've never used a Boppy (I do have one, but that's because I thought it might help Esther sit up when she was younger; it didn't), or a "nursing station" or even Lanisoh. Heck, I haven't even had a nursing bra since my second baby was born in Jan '04.

Am I saying not to get other stuff? No. Just not to get hung up on thinking it's necessary. Because it isn't.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks Sabra. I know you what mean. I was actually thinking that when i first posted.

I just really want to make it as easy as possible on myself and have my resources available. I have been reading and reading but wanted to hear from real mommas. What I went through with DS1 was awful and i wouldnt wish that on anyone else. I dont know what we willdo if it happens again.

·
Banned
192 Posts
Olive oil . . . better than lanolin for sore nipples!!! You can also use it to lube up the shields of a breast pump to make pumping more comfortable.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts