Mothering Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just dragged out the box of baby clothes we'd kept from Owen and Heather.

There are :
3 nb sundresses (useless)
3 small "fancy" dresses
23 nb short-sleeve t-shirts
2 sm sweaters
1 nb fuzzy sleeper
1 6m fuzzy sleeper
1 6m sleeper
2 12m sleepers
1 6/9 m "boy" outfit

We're bought :
4 nb/sm sleep gowns
2 nb/sm sleepers
1 long-sleeve t-shirt

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
i haven't had a winter baby yet but I would guess that you would need
socks or booties (if they aren't in sleepers)
depends on where you live but possibly a coat or snowsuit
I would also get several pull on pants and long sleeve shirts

·
Registered
894 Posts
got hats? that's my big concern with birthing in winter- losing too much heat via the head, burning the brown fat to stay warm, and having respiratory distress from the fatburning and cold. Of course, I'm also planning for woodstove heat... which is finicky at best.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Stupid winter baby question-
Do brand new newborn babies where coats???? I don't know what I'll do instead I suppose, maybe one of those carseat cover things unless I'm slinging the baby, in which case baby will be under my coat? I'm just thinking of the logistics here- if I buy one of those snow suit things for babies, I'd need one in two sizes most likely...eek, the costs.

·
Registered
894 Posts
I can tell you what I'm going to be doing... slinging- I've got the fabric for my sling- the inner will be lined with fleece for warmth. And that will be covered additionally by the fleece cape I'll wear myself. (making that because it's really hard to babywear with a big ol' coat, at least for me it was.)

ETA: the cape/cloak is also nice because I know it will fit post-partum, regardless of what my body decides to do.

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by happydoulamama
Stupid winter baby question-
Do brand new newborn babies where coats????
Not a stupid question at all! My baby was newborn size when winter came (he was born at the end of June, 2.5 months early), and I never used a coat at that point. I just dressed him warmly and then used a blanket as needed. You're not supposed to use winter coats with carseats anyway, so if you have an infant style carseat, just bundle baby up in the carseat with a blanket thrown over top, and run out to the car really quick!

I suppose if you were going to have baby outside for a while for some reason, a snowsuit of some sort might be useful in a cold area of the country, but I tried to not have my newborn outside in the cold that much! And inside, he'd actually overheat super easy, so I had to keep him dressed pretty lightly and just use blankets when going outside. The sling is warm too, of course. For walks during the colder part of fall, I'd put him in the sling in an upright chest-chest carry (he loved that), bundling his legs inside the sling, and he and I were both nice and toasty! If I needed it, I'd close my coat around the sling for extra warmth. My DH always held DS in his own coat as well (no sling) when traveling between a building and a vehicle, once we were out of the infant carseat.

·
Registered
6,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by autumn_faune
I can tell you what I'm going to be doing... slinging- I've got the fabric for my sling- the inner will be lined with fleece for warmth. And that will be covered additionally by the fleece cape I'll wear myself. (making that because it's really hard to babywear with a big ol' coat, at least for me it was.)

ETA: the cape/cloak is also nice because I know it will fit post-partum, regardless of what my body decides to do.
I do something very similar - using my sling under a fleece cape that is. My mom made the cape when my oldest was about 18 months old - she put snaps along the sides, so I could open up the side and pop his head out when he was in a hip-carry.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by happydoulamama
Autumn,
Where did you get your cape? Was it expensive? I saw on on Motherwear awhile back but it was over $100 I believe. It's a great idea though!
Well I haven't made it yet
I got 8 yards of gorgeous red fleece on a spring fabric clearance sale, and some black trim to go around- and a bunch of this stuff... it's called snap tape I think. It's a piece of ribbon width fabric with snaps on it at regular intervals. I'm going to sew that into the side I do hip carry on, like LizaBear's cape.

if I have enough I may use that down the front as well, otherwise I'll pick up some pretty buttons

DH bought me the matching red and black fleece beret on our honeymoon- it will be nice

·
Registered
367 Posts
I'm a first timer, so everyone I know has been calling up to tell me what I need. Lately, I've been so ridiculously giddy to be having a baby of my own that I've been assessing purchases by cuteness factor only. I definitely need a voice of sanity to stop me from buying two dozen fancy little dresses and get a few practical items.

What about onesies or one of those hooded towels?

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
For those of you making your own slings/wraps- do you have a favorite pattern that you use? I'd love to make something (fleece-lined sounds great) but am not sure what would be best.

My sister had some tank-top style onsies that were given to her as a gift and they were fantastic! Anyone know where I can find some of these?

·
Registered
6,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by juliansmom
Onsies we got rid of after having them sit around basically unused through 2 babies. Just never found them practical - and that flap that goes between the legs to snap up front is horrible looking ! The ones that snap lower (at the crotch) don't look too bad though.

Hooded towels - I've yet to see one that actually covers a baby's head.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by roomformore
For those of you making your own slings/wraps- do you have a favorite pattern that you use? I'd love to make something (fleece-lined sounds great) but am not sure what would be best.
I love a pouch sling, especially for the early months. I prefer Rev. Jan Andreas reversible pouch pattern.

http://www.sleepingbaby.net/jan/Baby/index.html

found here.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by juliansmom
I've only experienced having a spring baby so far, but we used onesies all the time. I guess I should call them "bodysuits" since they weren't the Gerber Onesies that Lizabear doesn't like. We got the Carter's bodysuits that come in packs of 4, I think. The cotton is soft and they snap low in the crotch. I figure with this baby we'll put them under warmer clothes. My dd outgrew her bodysuits in length pretty fast, especially because we used cloth diapers and they take up extra space.

I am a big fan of hooded towels. I liked being able to cover dd's head when I wrapped her up after a bath. It really did fit over her head! I have a cute picture of her in her towel, but I'm lame and don't know how to share pictures on here. I would recommend having two towels so one is clean when the other is in the hamper/laundry.

·
Premium Member
5,156 Posts
my second was a february baby and when he was tiny tiny we used fleece zip up footed .. what are thy called?
: like, footed jammies... my brain just left me.

We would put these over his little lighter indoor clothing and then out him in the sling.

If you do get a jacket thing (it rains A LOT here, but doesn't snow) avoid from zippers. These jackets are totally worthless as the zipper always digs into their little chins until their necks grow. Something with buttons or even a pull-over worked better for us. And lots of warm hats.

and I LOVED my babyspats when he was big enough for the mei tai... from jamtots:
http://www.jamtots.com/bWintertime-Gearb-C19.aspx

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.