Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let's share tips! I am feeling a little stuck in a rut with my eight month old. She's not crawling yet and I feel like we spend a little too much time just sitting on the floor inspecting various kitchen objects and toys. Here's some other stuff we do:

Read board books
Play bouncing-on-knees games
Take walks (but this is less fun in this weather!)
Look in mirrors
Fold/hang laundry (she enjoys pulling at the clothes and tipping the clothes rack over)
Dance to CDs.

Ok, your turn!

·
Registered
696 Posts
Alex is 9 1/2 months. A few things I do with her:

Make her stuffed animals act out little plays, hug her/kiss her, talk to her

Hand things back and forth. Alex likes to "share," and I'll take something from her and say, "Thank you!" and then offer it back to her. I can put out my hand and say, "Can I have it?" as a way to initiate it.

Practice signs for different kinds of animals that we see (usually in books), flowers, babies, etc.

Smack different kinds of surfaces to hear different noises.

Fill bags, boxes, or shelves with stuff that she can empty out.

·
Registered
181 Posts
We play with trucks in the floor, stack blocks up for ds to knock over with the bulldozer, read books, go for strolls outside, his absolute favorite thing to do is ride on the lawn mower (no blades moving!!) He is fascinated with anything with wheels! So, we take a daily ride on the mower!

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Have you tried a sandbox?
Or even just a pile of flour?
How about on the floor with a big bowl/pot of water to splash with?
I can't remember when we got our sandbox, but he loved to run his fingers through it before he could actually "play" in it.

Once she is crawling, or doing the tummy creep, a cupboard of tupperware is great fun.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
: i'll be watching this thread for suggestions....

with almost 9mo DD, we:

water plants; follow the cat around
; watch cars go by from the front porch; "fly" around the house; stir with wooden spoons; bouncing games....

·
Registered
464 Posts
:

DS likes to look at things and people, so I've been trying to find free, kid-friendly activites for us to go to during the day. We go to the park, the zoo, the library, the grocery store, etc. We went to NFL training camp yesterday--it's free to the public, and it's set up pretty nicely around here. He liked watching the players, and their uniforms are so brightly colored that he can see them really well.

At home, he likes to look at pictures of people he knows. He also likes to talk on the speaker phone to my mom and dad.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Some of my 10 month old's favorite things:

Flip light switches on and off

Take baths

Sit in laundry baskets (got me, he'll just sit in them, feel the edges and poke his fingers through the holes, for the longest time!)

We just started playing hide and seek... I'll go sit in the closet and leave the door half way open and say Where's Momma? Come find Momma! and he'll crawl over and open the door the rest of the way and laugh so hard! Then he'll want to open and shut it a hundred and I really have to watch those little fingers! but its a lot of fun

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
we spend a lot of time on the porch. we play in water, play with sticks/leaves. when we're lucky the cats will come hang out and there is a lot of meowing and chasing. i bought alice a huge (electronic
) keyboard and we play music a lot. she likes to go anywhere there are kids to watch. playgrounds, zoos, etc.

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
She plays dada's guitar, or I play while she feels the vibrations. Also "drums" with tupperware, etc. And singing...almost non-stop

Lots of walking, chasing dogs and birds and other kids around the park

Swinging at the playground

Swimming in the wading pool

Helping with dishes (sits in the second sink and plays with the water)

Folding (or unfolding) laundry

Playing with anything that opens/closes or goes up/down (drawers, doors,
: the toilet lid)

Looking at our reflections and playing with the baby in the mirror, or spoon, or window.

Reading or ripping up old magazines

And much, much more. My dd loves to cruise, so she spends a lot of time walking around the house just looking at and touching things.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
we do lots of hide-and-seek and "chase" games
ds loved the assisted walk for awhile so I'd let him play "soccer" with a small lightweight ball
looking at interesting patterns/colors around the house
we follow the animals too

bang utensils together
play with cardboard boxes
put things in a tupperware that he can make a good mess of

we also sing nonstop

lots of walks outside

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by anonymous4_20
:
We went to NFL training camp yesterday--it's free to the public, and it's set up pretty nicely around here.
Err.

When I first read this I thought, "Whoa! Where does she live? I've never heard of a natural family living training camp! Wonder what they do there...."
Then I read on and realized you meant football. I'm such a dork.

My 9-month-old likes to:
Play tickling games
Watch me dance and make weird noises
Growl back and forth with me

Good idea for a thread!

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hoopin' Mama
How about on the floor with a big bowl/pot of water to splash with?
We just tried this during the heat wave! She LOOOOOVED it - thank you for the suggestion!

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by operamommy
Err.

When I first read this I thought, "Whoa! Where does she live? I've never heard of a natural family living training camp! Wonder what they do there...."

Too cute!!

·
Registered
6,010 Posts
Paddy is 12 months old, and not yet walking but very close. We:

practice "walking" along the couch, coffee table, assisted with Mama
play outside, tear up the grass, pick all the buds off the dahlias ( the plants look great! Too bad we never get to see the blooms )
go for a walk
go to his favorite toy store
go around the house playing "open and close" with every door
unravel toilet paper and shred it
play with the "baby" that lives in the mirror inside the china cabinet

push the chairs around the dining room
shred magazines, old newspapers, ads, etc...
clap hands and say "YAY!!" ( he just started doing this two days ago )
push his favorite ball or toy truck back and forth
read pop-up books ( until he rips out the pop-up part
)

·
Registered
474 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by operamommy
: laughup

I really needed a laugh today. Natural Family Living training camp.

I Love this thread!! Sometimes I think either I'm bored or my 8 mo old is bored with what we do all day. We like to:

1. Roll around on the bed or floor. I help turn his body around so he rolls pretty fast and he just giggles with laughter!
2. We play parachute with blankets. He loves to let them fall over his head. Then I attack kiss his feet and other visable body parts!
3. We bang on drums and tamborines and shake rattles!
4. We play in the big bath tub.
5. Read board books.
6. Go outside and explore the grass.
7. Do finger plays using his feet, sing songs, and dance.
8. I roll balls to him and he catches them.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Oh!. . .And I love to do baby yoga and massage with my ds. Just another way to connect with him!

·
Registered
429 Posts
tear paper

put a few spoons in & out of the dishwasher silverware basket

take things out of drawers, esp. underwear!

play piano

chase dog

play in the tub w/o water

sweep the floors

pick up little things

look at a picture slideshow on my computer

dance to music

play in the carseat w/o being buckled in or better yet, the driver seat

crawl in between small spaces

watchh me jump over & around her as she lays on the floor (this elicits the BEST giggles!)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts