Mothering Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what i mean is what do you love and what do you hate? What makes it worth it and what makes you want to cry.

For me I get a real sick high from spending under my budget
I hate having to think about every penny I spend. I want to cry when I think about how it would feel to go to the grocery store or Target and buy whatever I wanted with out thinking about it.

·
Registered
2,872 Posts
I'm in the "honeymoon" period after going back to being a spendthrift for a while and getting deeper into debt.

What do I love? The KNOWLEDGE that if I get debt-free now, I can stay debt-free and live a life on my terms.
I can have the land, cottage and job that I want.

What don't I love? Using cash. I do it, but it seems so much more hectic than plastic. I guess that's why I spent more with plastic, lol.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
I love marking days off the calendar when I've gone without spending a dime. (Actually, under $2 because I don't count bus fare anymore. I tried going without spending a dime but then I ended up feeling trapped at home and not very healthy mentally.)

I love making cheap from scratch meals that are as good or better than take out. (Like pizza)

I like making things out of nothing, like crafting and making toys for dd out of objects I have around the house. That's a real thrill for me.

I dislike having money on my mind all the time. I dislike not being able to eat take out food as much as I want to. I dislike feeling guilty when I miss my mark, which at times is frequently.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have actually gone into Target/Wal-Mart and thrown stuff in the cart w/o putting much thought into how much it cost or how much I actually wanted/needed it--didn't do it often, but it's part of the reason we have the debt we have.
Trust me, it doesn't feel good. At all. Once you make the switch to realizing the true cost of things, I don't think you can let yourself be so carefree about it. Kwim?

Anyway, to answer the question, I love coming home from a grocery shopping trip, feeling like my pantry and fridge are full, and yet having saved a lot of money. Last night, I made an applesauce spice cake (with the help of a mix, lol) and as I puttered around the kitchen, I noticed that we had the ingredients to bake just about anything I could want to. That felt good, esp knowing that I was looking at from-scratch ingredients, not convenience foods.

I hate that I've put clothing for myself last on the priority list, though, and therefore I'm lookin' pretty sad. Looking at my clothes makes me want to cry. But I just can't bring myself to put it up higher on the list. (And of course, dd has more than enough cute lil' clothes, lol...)

·
Registered
111 Posts
Love: the little triumphs. Like channeling a shopping urge into a trip to the library and feeling far more satisfied than I would have if I'd spent money. Coming in at or under budget. I also LOVE the budgeting system I set up (this is the super-nerd in me). It's a spreadsheet I can update daily in just a few minutes and see where we are in our budget. It works so much better than Quicken for me.

Hate: negotiating with DH about money. DH is on board with being frugal, but he relies on me completely for setting limits. I wish he would just refer to the spreadsheet and then make an informed decision on his own. I hate feeling like the money mommy. I also hate how tense I get when he simply spend 20 bucks on stuff I wouldn't have bought. Not frivolous stuff, just stuff I could have figured out how to go withouit.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I love knowing that we'll be able to reach our long-term goals by being smart with our money. I LOVE finding like-new name-brand clothes at the Salvation Army.

I do NOT like it when there are two days left until the end of the month and we need some fresh veggies and dh doesn't really want me to go grocery shopping because we've spent all of the money in our grocery category (so we put that receipt in next month's budget
)

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
I love how a few months ago I thought there was no way we could get by on the budget we've set up, and slowly but surely, we have been!

I hate how terrible DF is with being on board with the budget. In theory he is really behind it, but if I gave the man even $10 he would blow it as fast as he could. It's so infuriating.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
I love when I can go a whole week at a time without spending "frivolous" money!
ie...DD and I spend our days at home, only leaving to go to town and pick up our mail. (I end up with a clean house, a clean car, a full tank of gas, dinner on the table every night and a happy baby, husband and dog!)

I hate it when I go grocery shopping and it comes time to pay and I start sweating as the amount adds up on the bottom...praying that I don't go over budget and have to "put stuff back".

·
Registered
93 Posts
I actually LOVE cash instead of checks or plastic, I like knowing what I have is in my hand, and thats all I have! I hate not eating sushi

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
i love the *high* that I get from finding a real bargain - something really special for dd for pennies, or a treat for dh or me for less than $2...there's something about the thrill of the chase

i hate that 'end of the month' thing when we have to decide between necessities

·
Registered
8,198 Posts
Loves:
-Killer bargains (like the $60 desk lamp I found at Staples for $1.50 last month! - I bought 2)
-Going a month without putting anything on the credit card (we don't carry a balance and we don't have debt, but I still don't like using the AmEx)
-Going into a grocery store for ONE thing and coming out with ONE thing

Hates:
-the guilt I feel when I buy organic meat at double the cost. I hate that I feel guilty because I know it's money well-spent
-that when I tell dd we can't get something, her automatic response is, "because it's too expensive" (I really am TRYING to make her, not a miser, but a concienscious consumer)
-the long lines at Aldi

·
Registered
715 Posts
I love the satisfaction that comes with knowing I just got a GREAT deal on something. I love finding the most adorable clothes for dd at our local resale shop and spending less than $5 on an outfit I would never buy new or pay full price for. I love seeing the numbers in our savings account rise and the cc debt go down. I love researching a financial issue thoroughly and then acting upon it, secure in the knowledge that, yes, I know what I'm doing, and it's a GOOD idea. (Just rebalanced our retirement portfolio that way!
)

I loathe talking about money with dh and him not being on-board with cost-cutting. I hate having to cut back on food. I want to cry when I think about how awesome it would be if we could afford to buy all the best local organic food possible -- fresh milk, fruits and veggies from a nearby farm, etc. I fantastize about doing the shopping only at Whole Foods!

·
Registered
889 Posts
carouselrider said:
Love: the little triumphs. Like channeling a shopping urge into a trip to the library and feeling far more satisfied than I would have if I'd spent money. Coming in at or under budget. I also LOVE the budgeting system I set up (this is the super-nerd in me). It's a spreadsheet I can update daily in just a few minutes and see where we are in our budget. It works so much better than Quicken for me./QUOTE]
carouselrider said:
I could have wrote this too! I LOVE going to the library simply because I can take home AS MUCH as I want for FREE!!! Well, the movies cost, but you get the idea
I think there is a limit of 200 books, so I think I'm good to go.

My DH just created a cool Excel budget spreadsheet where we can enter our extra earnings, savings, etc. It has our goal on it for the year and we can watch it GROW. I love that he is taking an active part in the budget.

I love the peace in knowing that I am choosing this lifestyle NOW, so that I can choose my lifestyle later when everyone else is drowning in debt!

·
Registered
7,168 Posts
Love: Being able to live on only DH's salary despite the fact that his coworkers insists they need two of his salaries to survive.

Hate: Desperately wanting to travel and not being able to afford it.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
I love that it forces us to be creative and find really fun free simple things to do. I love using the library.

I dislike when we pinch and pinch on the little daily pleasures and then get hit with a big unavoidable expense like a vet bill, car repair, passport renewal fee, etc.

BJ
Barney & Ben

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Love: Having money for big expenses available, not worrying about the cars breaking, working on the budget with DH (he made an awesome spreadsheet), not having a truck or SUV (I really want a truck for when I'm farming full time and not travelling 25 miles one-way for work), making a good dinner that DH likes out of the stuff in the pantry that I forgot was there, gardening.

Loath: grocery shopping when I am unprepared, being cheap instead of frugal (I should buy naturally raised meat), buying my lunch cause I lost focus on the big picture.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
I love being nearly debt-free and soon to be completely debt-free. I love to see money roll-over from one paycheck to the next since we lived paycheck to paycheck for so long. I love saying to DH, "The budget's looking good this week." I love being so prepared that I can save at least 40%, and often closer to 50%, each time I hit the grocery store while still eating well. I love that I'm learning and that I will be teaching DS to be satisfied.

I hate the unexpected but necessary expenses that hit us (car repairs, medical bills etc) that then cause us to skimp on our healthy food budget or other flexible expenses until we get our heads above the water again--but we're working on getting our emergency funds together again. I hate saying to friends, "We'd love to go out with you tonight, but the funds aren't there." I hate that my work clothes are so old and cheap that I look unprofessional (at least it's a casual office!

It's a constant struggle, and I'm constantly learning, but it's totally worth it.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by velochic
Loves:

-the long lines at Aldi
:
I'm an Aldi's shopper too, but I'm on a quest to find the best time to shop so I don't have to stand in line for longer than it took me to shop! I shop with 3 kids & I'm 9 months pregnant (due yesterday, actually) and waiting in line is the worst. Maybe if they ever had more than one cashier...

My biggest kick is getting stuff from the library. I especially get a thrill when I'm the first one to borrow a new book. We're at the library so much my kids literally don't get that you can't borrow from a store. We have to constantly remind them that we have to buy things from the store. Wouldn't that be great if we could borrow from the store!!

·
Premium Member
1,823 Posts
I LOVE knowing that we are debt-free, have a nice emergency fund, and are already investing a giant portion of our household income. I also like being able to do nice things once in awhile and never having the feeling of being deprived.

With that said, I HATE the feeling of knowing we could have done better. I hate those little impulse buys-the runs to the store because we ran out of something critical and couldn't wait until shopping day. We are getting better, but I still hate straying.

I have to remind myself that like everything, finances are a learning experience. It's so fun to see where we were when we were first married to where we are now-in just three short years, we've done a lot of improvement!

Nicole

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.