Mothering Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I expect there are a wide variety of ways folks on this board handle this question.

In order to avoid sounding too freakish, I taught my son to say what grade he would be in if he went to school (which was also the grade he was doing in our curriculum). He is more than happy to announce he is homeschooled, as well, which is fine with me. I'm rather proud of that fact myself.

My daughter would have started kindergarten this year, and she's been telling people, "I homeschool," and then looking at them like they're crazy for asking such a silly question. She's rather sensitive, however, and I'm afraid that she'll start to feel bad about homeschooling this way. I'm also afraid that she'll feel like we're trying to hide something if I tell her she can say, "I'm in kindergarten," in additon to, "We homeschool."

So, what does everyone else do?

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
My 3 oldest were in PS until the middle of last school year, they just say they would have been in ____ grade, but they are homeschooling now and do work at different grade levels. Then they look at me like I have 2 heads
People usually don't ask the 2 little ones, I guess after the older girls answer they don't have to.

·
Registered
17,896 Posts
My oldest usually either gives a paniced stare because she can't remember what grade she is suppose to be in or she does the "3rd grade, nu wait, 4th, no 3rd, no 4th, moooommmmm . . . "

Lily refuses to acknowledge that she is in school. because hs eis homeschooled. she is not any grade in school. she is homeschooled and don't you forget it.

ava says "I'm 2" how old are you "I'm 2" how are you? "I'm 2" that is a pretty dress "I'm 2" . . . .

·
Registered
14,840 Posts
Mine just say "We don't go to school so we don't have a grade." or "If I went to school I'd be in the 6th/9th grade ." or something similiar.

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
Mine just say "I"m homeschooled/home educated" and leave it at that.
at the looking at the asker (is that a word
) like their crazy...dd does that too before she responds. Sometimes I feel like making up shirts for when we're out and about just for giggles and kicks. Around here, hsing isn't uncommon so most people react pretty "normal" when they find out.

·
Registered
4,939 Posts
Mine answer in a variety of ways. Mostly, they usually try to by-pass the issue with a, "We homeschool, we don't use grades." answer, but some people persist.

They've tried to answering by telling their age instead of their "grade," figuring that will satisify the questioner--sometimes that's enough and the questioner will fill in the blank, "Oh, so you're in ____ grade then?"

We also just tried answering what grade they'd be in if they were in school, but we had the same problem as lilyka did with not remembering the grade. "Uh...4th, I think, no wait, 5th...hey Ma, what grade am I in again?"

Mostly though, they just go with "We homeschool and don't use grades."

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
We say what UnschoolMa's kids do. "we homeschool" or "if we were in school we'd be in ____ grade".

We generally go by what grade they are in Sunday School class....but even then it's kinda skewered because I allowed all my kids to stay back a grade to be with friends. LOL (the only mother who did so ...giving much amusement to the children's director and a big thumb's up from her as well)

I got asked once and forgot to say "We homeschool " before I said "hmmm Lemme think here.....huh...my mind went blank. I have no idea what grades they are." ROFLOL

·
Registered
17,896 Posts
we usually go with Sunday school. Lilys SS teacher (the LOVE each other) has homeschooled siblings. wehn Lily moved up to kindergarten class all three of us cried (how sappy) and Lily refused to leave her Denea. so we decieded she was homeschooled therefiore she could still be in prechool indefenitely if she wanted to. and to be completely homnest I don'tt hink i woul dhave put her in kindergarten this year. She is super shy and would not have gotton on very well despite being very bright.

my point is we can't even use Sunday school as a basis anymroe
. and it was the teacher who currupted us.

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
Alexis always looks at me for the answer because she can't remember...and then I give the person a blank stare because I can't remember either. Then I say "well, they're homeschooled so they aren't in a grade, but I guess if they were to go to public school they'd be in..." whatever grade. Aspen always tells them "I went to kindergarten at public school but now I'm homeschooled. I should be in second grade but I do third grade math. If I went to school they wouldn't let me do third grade math in second grade. I'd have to do second grade math and I'm way too smart for that so I stay home where I can learn what I want."

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by wende
Aspen always tells them "I went to kindergarten at public school but now I'm homeschooled. I should be in second grade but I do third grade math. If I went to school they wouldn't let me do third grade math in second grade. I'd have to do second grade math and I'm way too smart for that so I stay home where I can learn what I want."
You go, Girl!

·
Registered
177 Posts
Go Aspen!

My DSS always gives people a look like they're weird for asking and then mumbles something about being homeschooled. I have the impression that he instantly loses interest in the adult/conversation when they ask this question, because it's not like it is really relevant to anything in his life. . . . .

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.