Mothering Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
DDis finishing first grade in public school, but really could have been in 2nd grade without many problems. We are hs'ing next year but was wondering what you would suggest. Start with 2nd grade curriculum and risk it being too boring/easy or start 3rd grade and risk her being pushed too hard?

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
Are you set on a specific boxed curriculum?<br>
If not, you can pull together materials that will meet her need for challenge without overwhelming her. It's one of the beautiful things about homeschooling.<br>
I'd suggest taking some time before you buy the curriculum to get a sense of what might appeal to her, what her learning style is, and what might work well for your family's rhythm.<br>
HTH<br>
Karen

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Well, I'd either pick a curriculum that allows different grade levels for different subjects or piece together materials for the subjects you choose on your own. That way you can go ahead and bump her up in skill areas where she is strong, like perhaps math or language arts. You could keep other areas of exploration - science, history, art, etc. at a second grade level and just investigate any topics she really ends up enjoying more deeply. That way you don't up her work load too much but still keep it mentally challenging and interesting.<br><br>
I second the suggestion to take your time before buying. Try to get a look at some stuff in person, either at a curriculum fair or through members of a local homeschool group. Everyone, almost always, ends up buying too much stuff their first year and don't use most of it! Spend time with your child talking about what she would like to learn, and what sort of activities she most enjoys.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Do you have to have her in a specific grade? Chances are she's doing some work at different grade levels. That's the beauty of homeschooling, you can pick and choose to create exactly what your children need.

·
Registered
208 Posts
You are going to think this is a bizarre answer....<br><br>
I suggest you read the book Understood Betsy with your DD. She'll enjoy the story just because it's a great story, and you will like it too -- from a parenting and teaching point of view. The main character goes to a one-room schoolhouse and discovers she is not a "third grader" but rather she does different levels of work depending on the subject. I don't remember the exact details but it goes something like - her current level is second-grade for math, fifth-grade for reading, third grade for spelling....you get the idea.<br><br>
When it comes to homeschooling, it doesn't matter what grade the child is, and having different levels of competency and interest in different subject matters is totally normal (and exciting!).<br><br>
When in doubt, I suggest starting at an "easy" level and let the child want to move on to more challenging work rather than starting a higher level that might frustrate the child. And, like others have said, it's a good idea to take your time and realize you might change your mind a few times about what curriculum and materials work best for you.<br><br>
Have fun (and read that book)!

·
Registered
43,705 Posts
I have to put down that dd is in "5th grade" on all the homeschooling paperwork I send to the school district (NYS law) but we don't really do a curriculum. We have a 6th grade textbook that we pull out when she feels like it, a Hebrew language book that's designed for "first grade" ie already knowing the aleph-bet but starting with zero knowledge of Hebrew vocabulary.<br><br>
Other than that, we just take books out of the library that interest her. We've covered science and history that way (through non-fiction science books and historical fiction and the occasional biography) and this also covers all language arts (except for creative writing which she does separately.)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts