Mothering Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have never had this happen before... Last night my ds and I went to bed around 8:30 - about an hour and a half later he wakes up SCREAMING. I mean, literally screaming. Sobs of crying with SCREAMS in between the sobs.

In my sleep at first, I tried nursing. He wouldn't nurse, just screamed louder. I finally woke up and had to take him into the bathroom and put the light on and his dad came running up the stairs. I checked him everywhere for signs of a wound. No signs at all.. DH said maybe it was a night mare, but DS was crying and screaming STILL after about 3 minutes of being wide awake.

After that, he was fine.. obviously still shaken up but wasn't screaming.

Could a baby this young have nightmares? I can't see how a baby who has never been exposed to anything scary (tv, horror) could have nightmares...

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the link. It says night terrors can be caused by emotional stress during the day. Ds had definite stress during the day when I took a shower and did not bring him in with me b/c I just wanted to take a quick shower alone (for once).

It was only for 5 minutes, but I had him in the bathroom with me (the shower curtain WIDE open so he could see me) and he was playing on the floor - until he realized I was in the shower. (He's been going through an attachment anxiety lately). I havent had a shower in a few days...
.... So I figure one shower for 5 minutes .. anyway, suffice it to say - he was so upset that he stood at the tub crying and I kept telling him "its ok, baby. Mamas coming out soon..." That was the worst I have seen him cry in a long time and I felt horrible about it. But what can you do, I hadn't had sleep in over 2 weeks (this phase he's going through where he needs to eat EVERY hour).. and I desperately needed a shower.. so now I feel even worse that I may have been the cause of his night terrors last night...

·
Registered
882 Posts
you're not the cause of your ds night terror. I don't know how old your ds is but I read that around six to seven months they go through some anxiety issues when the parent is out of the room to them the parent is gone completely, and they start crying. I'm going through a similar experience with my ds except he cries like that around seven in the morning everyday. He cries like that and he's only two months. I tried feeding him and he also didn't want to eat, and to change him was also horrible. My ds does have some bowel issues so I think that could be the reason to his night terrors. You wanting to take a shower is totally understandable, it's happened to me before where my ds started crying and since I was planning on washing my hair well even though it was wet that didn't happen.

·
Registered
3,282 Posts
You are NOT the cause of the night terrors.

My son, now 4, went through them for about 6 months when he was about 2. He could have a perfectly happy day and still have one.

The only thing you can do is leave the child alone as much as possible and don't try to interact too much, but let them know you are there, even though they may not even realize it. And make sure they cannot hurt themselves. I used to take my son to the living room and rock him while he screamed. Eventually, he calmed down and went to sleep again.

Mama, you are entitled to a shower and other private time without a child hanging on you or being in your face at every moment. Don't feel guilty. He will get over it.

·
Registered
903 Posts
I really doubt you taking a shower alone caused a night terror. I'd guess he's got a tooth coming through. The first time DS did that I was baffled and assumed a night terror but a day or two later there were two teeth popped through.

·
Premium Member
4,729 Posts
I remember my baby doing this from time to time-- she's grown out of it. I wondered at the time if it was teething or if she knew her Daddy was out that night (he so rarely went out back then, but it did seem to happen more when he was out of the house), or WHAT?! So sad to be right there for them and they still scream and cry. Poor babies! And poor mommies!

We were lucky that it didn't happen too often and it's stopped. She didn't get a tooth for months afterwards, but it could have been teeth moving around. Who knows? It's just one of those things!

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by BonnieNova View Post
Thanks for the link. It says night terrors can be caused by emotional stress during the day. Ds had definite stress during the day when I took a shower and did not bring him in with me b/c I just wanted to take a quick shower alone (for once).
You did NOT cause the night terror, do NOT take the blame for that! No one really knows what causes night terrors anyway.

Night terrors are really freaky things, if that is indeed what your son had. The thing about them is that the child seems awake, his eyes are open, but he is actually in a very deep sleep. It is very hard to wake them up, and it is actually a bad idea to even try (they are in such a deep sleep that they don't even remember it the next day, if you don't wake them). If your son was really awake, or easy to wake, it probably wasn't a night terror.

My daughter went through a phase where she did this a few times. It wasn't a night terror, but it was this horribly, hysterical screaming suddenly in the middle of the night. I have heard her scream, but NEVER anything like this. However, she was definitely awake, so it wasn't a night terror. She did it maybe 3 times over a 2 week period, and then never again.

I'm sorry you had to listen to it: just thinking about it is sending chills down my spine, a year later! But please, PLEASE don't blame yourself! It was probably a nightmare, but certainly not because you took a shower by yourself!

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You guys were right... there are two teeth about to pop through! It helps to know I was not the cause of his night terrors.. Thanks for the advice

·
Registered
20 Posts
This used to happen to my brother (night terrors) when he was young and my cousin. Actually they would run around the house screaming but still pretty much asleep. For some reason my mom would give him a spoon full of honey and it would stop the attack - she though it was caused by low blood sugar. It worked for both my brother and my cousin.

·
Premium Member
2,235 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by BonnieNova View Post
You guys were right... there are two teeth about to pop through! It helps to know I was not the cause of his night terrors.. Thanks for the advice
my 14 month old is going through it too.. teething can def cause scary screaming

hope he's feeling better now

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
My son has had episodes that certainly resemble *my* night terrors. So far, they almost always correlate to teething issues. He's two now and these issues started around 8mo and are generally very infrequent. They came to a head around 14mo when the canines and molars started pushing through.

Now that the 2y molars are working on making their way, he has occasional rough nights.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.