Mothering Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just as we move into our new space, and we start to decorate a toy area for our daughter, we cant find some of those colourful foam puzzle mat pieces. We'd like to use them as a rug. Were they just a fad, or have they gone away due to some safety concern? Anyone have one they like, and can recommend a good Canadian source?

·
Registered
3,784 Posts
Maybe they just come out around xmas. BJs carries (or at least did) some that don't have lots of pieces.

I think there is a safety concern if you have a kid who likes to chew on things, but that would be too obvious for someone to sue over LOL.

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
I've always seen them at discount places like Ross, Marshalls, etc. I think we got ours from Ross for pretty cheap. Then again, I don't know if those are in Canada, but I would think that you have something comparable around.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the tips!
And yes, Wolfville is the best place in the world to live. While pregnant I heard things like "You're planning a homebirth, right? Who's your midwife" from perfect strangers. It's the sort of town where nursing two year olds in the cafe is very normal, even encouraged. We love it here.

·
Registered
24,795 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jenelle View Post
I've seen them at Lowe's.

Ditto. We got our YEARS ago in MI at a toy store, though. We still use it, 15 years later!! #3 likes to make it into a box and stick his arms and head out and calls himself a robot. Very cute. Have fun!

·
Registered
5,727 Posts
We got one from an online store -- PM me if you want me to find the link. It wasn't the One Step Ahead place but it was similar, and had the edges and everything included.

ETA: I think this is where we got ours: Back to Basics Toys.

My only suggestion is to be sure and air it out really well when you first get it, as the material can sometimes give off fumes, which made me worry about off-gassing issues. But we put ours outside (it'll fade though, so watch for that) for a bit to air it out and no fumes after that.

But now ours live outside on the front porch permanently, since we got it screened in, and it's been a wonderful thing. Keep in mind that the letters and numbers come out, so they're not great for soft surfaces like carpeting, but on wood floors they work fine. We'd initially planned to use it as a rug in the living room but the carpeting there was too thick and the pieces didn't stay put very well.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.