Mothering Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dh and I are considering M school for dd next year. We don't celebrate holloween or do santa, easter bunny, etc. Could someone tell me if M school participates in activites that would include these things? Like having kids come to school dressed up for holloween and things in that nature.

tia.

·
Registered
29 Posts
My son's montessori school had International Children's Day instead of Halloween. They learned about different countries and cultures the week before and then the students could dress up however they liked to represent the continents/countries. It was really fun.
No mention of Christmas so far - they have a Winter Festival and holiday lunches.
I would imagine each school is different though. I would just ask when you go to an open house or to observe.

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by klouise55 View Post
My son's montessori school had International Children's Day instead of Halloween. They learned about different countries and cultures the week before and then the students could dress up however they liked to represent the continents/countries. It was really fun.
No mention of Christmas so far - they have a Winter Festival and holiday lunches.
I would imagine each school is different though. I would just ask when you go to an open house or to observe.
This was true at all three of the M schools that dd attended during her preschool, elementary and erdkinder years. There was a close relationship between the school and Unicef/International Childrens Day, so they were big on that instead of Halloween. The celebration included a pot luck food dish from the country you were representing.

There was a gift swap at Christmas time but it was low key-one year it was a white elephant gift swap which was cool. One year, the gift had to be a game, under $10.00 and they played all of them. That was fun. No easter, that I can recall.

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
Ours doesn't have any holiday celebrations. I think perhaps it is one of the more difficult things for parents to "get" about the M program my sons are in.

No Christmas, no Thanksgiving (we do a friendship feast, though), no easter, Hanukah, no birthdays.

They do lots of other cool stuff, though. And, the rest, what is important to us, we do at home!

·
Registered
591 Posts
Ours don't have specifics such as Halloween or Christmas. They celebrate Harvest during Halloween time and Holidays around the Christmas, Hannukah, Kwanza etc periods. They pay respects to various celebrations, but as a diverse and culturally blessed school, the children reap international benefits!!

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
Ours does little holiday celebrations. The kids did wear their masks to school on Halloween and had cookies. Our calendar says Kris Kringle day in Dec. but I don't know what that is yet.

·
Registered
10,284 Posts
Our seems pretty impartial about it. We had a UN day in October where the kids shared their origins. I'd say at least 1/3 of DD's class is non-christian (many are Hindu) if not more. My guess is that they will talk about it in class, because I think they talk about a lot of cultures. For example, they talked about Diwali, the Hindu Festival of Lights. However, I think its important how its handled. If its handled in a 'this is what some cultures do', etc so as to help the kids learn about each others cultures, rather than in a 'this is what we all do' way.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Our school celebrates ALL holidays - and I do mean all. There is no discrimination. Just this month we've done Mexican Independence Day, Hanukkah and we will do a "Holiday Program" where the kids put on a little play - usually singing Xmas carols, etc. and then they do a cookie exchange.

Other "holidays" they do throughout the year are parent-driven - i.e. if the parent wants to do something in the class to mark the occassion and educate the class. Examples are Chinese New Year, Persian New Year, Thanksgiving . . . DS class observes UN day as well (which I didn't know existed?)

I can't say that "religion" is emphasized - its really more the "culture" that is emphasized. The events are used to celebrate the cultural differences in the classroom.

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
Well, just got the note about Kris Kringle day. I am supposed to send a gift worth 10-15 dollars for my own kid with a note saying "From Kris Kringle." I love this school but this is a little annoying because I'm not really into Santa and I reluctantly decided that Santa can come, but he's only bring the stocking. I don't like the lie! The Day Care and Primary classes are doing this. The upper classes are doing a gift exchange.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.