Mothering Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What HEIGHT and AGE was your child when you turned your Britax Marathon round (not for other reasons) I have been waiting for DD 2.5 years to reach 33 lbs and she is 30.5 lbs now, but about 38 inches high. I think I am going to have turn her around soon based on height but just wondered when most people turned their child around. I read lately the top of her head must be 2 inches below the top of the car-seat and its very close now. I hate to turn her around until I have to!

Thanks!

·
Registered
365 Posts
As far as I know, the head can be even with the top of the car seat on the Britax, for rear-facing (and up to the tips of the ears forward-facing).

I turned DD1 forward in her Roundabout when she was about 2.5, and 25lbs (and well under the height). I turned her back around at her request when she was 3.5 and about 29lbs, until she reached 30lbs shortly after (it's an older Roundabout, with a 30lbs rear-facing limit) and had to go forward-facing again. A bit before she was 4.5, 38" tall, ~31lbs, we got her a close-out Britax Wizard, and she really wanted it installed rear-facing, so she rode that way for about two months until we flew on a trip and she was 32.5lbs when we left, so rode forward-facing when we got there and has been ff now that we're back home, and she just checked herself and is 33.5lbs, so I guess we're really done with rear-facing for her.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Yup I've also read that they can stay RF as long as their head doesn't come up above the seat shell. My 21.5 month old is 26ish lbs and has plenty of room before she reaches the top of her Boulevard.

·
Registered
42,824 Posts
Actually, on britax seats as long as the top of their ears are level with the top or below you're fine.

-Angela

·
Banned
1,288 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by alegna
Actually, on britax seats as long as the top of their ears are level with the top or below you're fine.

-Angela
The last I heard, they changed it back to head level with the top. The ladies at bc tried to tell me that it was tips of ears level and I couldn't believe it! I don't care what britax says, their head is supposed to be encased by the shell in order to be protected properly rf'ing. Then like 2 weeks later someone got on there and said, "whoops, I just called britax and they changed it".
I wasn't going to keep DS rf'ing if his head went over the top. Period. Call britax and see what they say, though.

Anyways, I switched DS at about 16-17 months, 30+ lbs (not sure how much he weighs), and about 33 inches tall. BUT he has a freakishly long torso. His shoulders were level with the 3rd slots from the bottom and his head was coming dangerously close to the top of the seat. I sold it to my sister since it was only a year old and got a regent.

·
Registered
42,824 Posts
Well, I went and looked on the Britax site- the Boulevard user guide mentions the tops of the ears still, the marathon didn't give any indication that I saw.

-Angela

·
Registered
3,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:

Well, I went and looked on the Britax site- the Boulevard user guide mentions the tops of the ears still, the marathon didn't give any indication that I saw.

-Angela
I know I tried to look too, but thanks for checking!

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
For rearfacing, the entire head needs to be encased by the seat. When there's less than an inch of seat above their head, it's time to turn the seat around.

For forwardfacing, you can keep using it until the ears are level with the seat.

·
Banned
1,288 Posts
Quote:

-Angela
Hmmm, maybe it's because the blvd has the extra wings (what are they called?) for head protection? I don't know. Most car seats say when their head is within one inch of the top. Then there was all this confusion about britax. I can't imagine how their head would be protected if it was sticking up the back.
:

·
Registered
3,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well she still has a little room (closer to 2 inches) so will wait a little longer, and keep checking her height and weight.

Thanks!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts