Mothering Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm interested in which books I should read and have on hand in case my midwife doesn't make it to my house in time. What books will have what information I may need to birth unexpectedly unassisted?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
You know, I was thinking about this and thought perhaps reading through the UC forum might really help. I would be interested in book suggestions too, though.

·
Registered
6,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I was looking at the UC forum earlier for the same reason. I have Ina May's Guide to Childbirth and I'm thinking about picking up Emergency Childbirth. I don't want to get anything that is specifically for people planning a UC that won't be as handy for someone who ends up with an accidental UC, though.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
You also might want to pick up Spiritual Midwifery.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
I have Emergency Childbirth. I gave it to DH to read just in case.

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
Hearts & Hands (a midwifery book)
The Birth Partner (Simkin) has a good description

That is all I can think of off hand

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
"emergency childbirth"

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
having just experienced an unexpected UC, I can say that reading the UC forum ahead of time really helped me keep my head.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
I think that one of the really important things that I read before my accidental UC, was that 99% of the time in births that move so quickly as to have an accidental UC, it is because everything is going *perfectly*. So, while I had some moments of near panic while dealing with the intensity of the quick-moving labor, I never once panicked because the MWs were not there yet. This is not to say that you shouldn't be informed to your comfort level about the physiology of birth, but that if things do move that quickly, it is probably because everything is working perfectly.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gray's Mommy View Post
Hearts & Hands (a midwifery book)
The Birth Partner (Simkin) has a good description

That is all I can think of off hand
Ditto these books.. I have both and they are great.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts