Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am starting to wonder whether I have the personality or the patience to homeschool. I have bipolar and am not on any drugs because I am nursing. I handle it okay most of the time but some days I just feel like i am going batty and just wish the kids would go away (mostly my 2 year old, he's a handful). I really do want to homeschool but at the same time I just don't know if I can handle the idea of being with my kids all day every day for the next 18-20 years. If I did send them to school it would be private Christian school but I know DH really wants me to homeschool and I guess I do too. Help!

·
Premium Member
17,022 Posts
Well, for starters, homeschooling doesn't mean that you're going to be with them all day for the next 18 years. There's Grandma babysitting so you can get a few hours away, summer camp, internships, apprenticeships, classes at community college...

Also, try to remember that teaching your homeschooled child takes signifigantly less hours in a day than the traditional school requires. In other words, you can cover more stuff in a lot less time. My 3 year old drives me batty too. I have to keep reminding myself that he won't always be this demanding. The older he gets, the more "quiet time" we can have, and the more he'll be able to do on his own.

But you're not obligated to homeschool if it's not right for your family. Some kids enjoy school and do well. However, no school can provide as good an education as your average parent can.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I often wonder the same thing, am I patient enough for this? I do think that as they get older, it does get easier because they are more independent and able to entertain themselves without so much mischief. My kids are 5 and 3 and the 3 year old still needs a lot of supervision, but a lot less tahn say a year ago. We are starting to get into some kind of routine and I think it is helping all of us. I notice when we do some loosely structured things (mostly reading and craft, nature, or science activities, and thinking games) in the morning after breakfast we have the rest of the day free. I want to keep it really fun and my kids seem to enjoy the activities. I can see if I wasn't flexible, it would be a lot more work and harder on all of us. They enjoy the routine of time and activities with me and I feel like I did something for the day. Also when we have that time together in the morning they are more likely to play on their own and let me get what I need to done because they got their mama time. A big thing though is knowing that I am not a naturally patient person and realizing when I need a break and to call in a grandma or a friend before I get in over my head. Best wishes.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.