Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone ever wonder about that? We have been timing bd around my temp rise--some combination of the 4 days before and day of. And we tend to stop right after that for about a week. Does anyone else ever wonder if that is a problem? What if my body is a little different and this timing is actually preventing pregnancy. I know that sounds ridiculous. I do know of one couple who tried for 2 years and then finally threw out the temp chart and opks and just dtd every other day all month long. That is the month they got preg. Just a coincidence? Anyone here get pregnant with different timing?

·
Registered
674 Posts
funnygrace, all i can say is, i understand your being skeptical. Maybe try bding for a couple more days after the rise. If we didn't have to pay for each vial we use, I'd be doing a whole lot more than what we are doing.
By the way, I don't know how it works for folks who don't go to a clinic, or for that matter, who don't have state funding for medical stuff, but is it possible to get an ultrasound done to check when you ovulate?
I'd have never suggested this before, but it seems that's the step we now get to take (rather than going on meds) to try & get things to be timed right.

: for you, no matter what your 'timing' is like!

·
Registered
12,040 Posts
I wonder the same thing. When I got preg with my son over 4 years ago, I barely even tried. I wasn't temping, charting, and didn't know anything about my fertility. I just came off the pill the same month I got preg. Thinking back, it looks like I got preg a week or so before AF was due. Strange because that should have been after I ovulated.

I've heard that it is best to BD every other day around O time up until a few days after O. I think I'm gonna try it out

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
I've just decided that every other day (regardless of when I'm "supposed" to ovulate) is about the only way I'm going to get pregnant. (Either that or get divorced and have a drunken tryst with my DH.) Needless to say, I've been feeding my DH vitamins and epimedium regularly.
:

I've also been taking vits and I'm thinking about starting progesterone cream.

ETA: I got preg with my DD ON the day I ovulated, so you never know. This is back when my cycles were dead on regular and I was drinking heavily. It's also the reason I say "get divorced and have a drunken tryst with my DH" because that's exactly how I got pg with her, except her biodad isn't around.

HOLY CRAP THIS IS POST 666 FOR ME!

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
I wonder about this too sometimes. Even TCOYF recognizes that the temp rise does not necessarily pinpoint o to the day. I tend to think that any day I have half-fertile cm is a good day to bd (or, in our case, every two or three days is a good day to bd - give those spermies some sort of a chance to recoup their numbers). I can't say it enough though, if your body or your gut, or a nagging thought in your mind says something, you should probably run with it. We don't give our own body-knowledge enough respect these days. I also wonder about the "just relax and stop charting/worrying/keeping track and you'll get pregnant dictum". Maybe it has nothing to do with relaxing and everything to do with getting over the timed to o aspect of ttc. It's too bad prolonged ttc generally leads to changing our ideas of bd'ing - from something fun and joyful to something goal oriented that we "need" to do.
Interesting topic, funnygrace.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everybody for musing with me. I think following my gut is a good idea. Selkat--your point about the "relax" method is good. Hummm? Maybe that's my trick this month--keep on doing it after O.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts