Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What would you do? I have heard some woman say thats why they did not. I have heard some woman wean because DH was against it. I know some provided them with benifits ect they just did not want too. I have heard some woman say well its his kid too ect ect.. Maybe but that child just came out of your body.
I know a woman right now her baby is nine months and DH wants him weaned by a year old. So she is battling it with him. One mom said she just flat out did not because he was against it. One mom I know did it anyway and he left her and then they got back together and he was so not supportive at all. I just don't know what I would have done.

·
Banned
11,594 Posts
If he won't listen to reason or anything else about the health benefits, i'd just tell him "i'm sorry, but this is something that i feel is important for both my health (it decreases incidence of breast cancer, supposedly) and the health of our child. You'll just have to make peace with it in your own way; but i'm doing this."

My husband, thankfully, is *extremely* supportive. He supports exclusive nursing on cue until natural weaning.

·
Registered
2,993 Posts
I would explain to him the benefits, talk to him about the natural function of the breast and how it's more than just a sexual function, tell him he's shared my body for 9 months and can bear it a while longer, let him know that our sex life and personal opinions aren't as important as this choice, etc. If he still didn't approve, I would try to avoid doing it around him and try to avoid 'flaunting it' and keep it from interfering with our life as much as possible (like pump before bed time to avoid extra leaky breasts). If he left, oh well. If I was making a choice that was unhealthy for me, the child, him, or the family, I would understand... but I'm making a choice that's healthy for everyone, maybe just inconvenient for him. I'd be pretty disgusted by his disapproval anyway. Now if I was chosing to smoke, and he wasn't supportive... I probably wouldn't do it. But this is the kind of issue I wouldn't be swayed on. Now, if he was anti-co-sleeping, I probably wouldn't co-sleep...but I might buy a bassinet for the room or something instead. Or, the baby and I would sleep in one bed, him in another... :p Like it or lump it, the baby comes first. Thankfully my husband is really supportive, though at first he was really weird about me NIP lol!

·
Banned
6,717 Posts
I'd look at him and go "my body my choice. Long gone are the days of Chattel in this country"

Then I'd proceed to nurse anyway. I dont care what my DH said.

I'm glad he's VERY supportive of BFing. even Extended BFing.

Heck I'd even put my foot down firmly if he was for circ (he isn't. He's extremely against that)

Heck my DH even got on one of his co-worker's case because all the guy did was whine about how much formula cost and how much disposable diapers cost...for his twin boys.

DH said "Umm, your wife chose not to breastfeed right from the start. People can and have breastfed twins successfully, you know there is a pair of breasts there and all...and we did give you cloth diapring resources..you guys chose not to use it, so STFU."

The same man also complained about how the babies wouldn't stop screaming after their circ...
: DH just shook his head and walked away on that..he was so mad he was about to punch the guy..

·
Registered
5,301 Posts
My ds1's bio dad isn't my dh. He said I could do what I wanted while pg, but after the baby was born, he pressured me to stop bf b/c he wasn't allowed to play w/ them whenever he wanted anymore. I told him to suck it up and too bad. One of the many many things that were bad in our relationship. I honestly don't think I could respect a man who didn't want me to do what's best for our child and for myself. I had been losing respect for him for a while (we were probably about to break up when I got pregnant--together for over 3 years, just moved in together) but that sure didn't help.

My dh is awesome. His mom extended nursed his younger brothers, so when he was first interested in me and found out I had an 18 month old son, he assumed I was still nursing. Without him, I would never have made it through these last 10 mos of tandem nursing. Tandem nursing is really good when it's good, but really tiring and stressful as well.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Even aside from the pressing health issues, I'd say, "Um... where exactly do you think the money for formula is coming from?" closely followed by "You do realize that you're doing all the bottle-washing and formula mixing, right? You want this baby bottle-fed, you can damn well do the hard work yourself."

My husband actually wants my daughter weaned by two years. He has valid personal reasons for feeling that way, and really, saying "BF for only two years!" is lightyears from telling me to wean by a year, so I can't complain too much. I don't know what I'll do when two years rolls around, but I guess we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

Since I generally object to someone telling me to do things the hard way when I'm the one who has to do the work (which is what weaning would be) I doubt I'm likely to wean because of his say-so, though.

Julia

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
Breastfeeding is non-negotiable to me. I'm the baby's mother, I am the one who will be doing all of the work (read producing the milk and feeding it to the baby) and my baby will be breastfed. Honestly it is important enough to me to end a relationship over. There are a few things about raising children that are just that important to me. I will not back down. Luckily dh is incredibly supportive of my bfing, even extended bfing though he is a little freaked by the idea of a child over 3 nursing. But he would never tell me no. But honestly I think the "I didn't bf because dh didn't want me to" is just a cop out. More than likely mom didn't really want to and using dh is just an easy way to feel less guilty about it.

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
What if . . . um, he wouldn't be my dh? Not that it would be a deal-breaker necessarily, but if we didn't agree on these basic things, we wouldn't have a dc together, which was a big part of why we legalized our relationship.

Seriously, what's wrong with these men?

·
Registered
9,270 Posts
I probably wouldn't have breastfed, at least my first, because dh was the one to talk me into breastfeeding. I guess since I found out I was pregnant, I've been educating myself on mothering, so I probably would have "tried" breastfeeding, but if he was against it so much, it probably wouldn't have stuck.

I'm so glad my MIL planted the seed in dh's head. She nursed 4 of her 5 kids until they were 2! The one she didn't nurse was dh because he would NOT latch on. She always talked about nursing so happily and was sad she had to formula feed him, but was happy formula was available!

·
Registered
856 Posts
my partner had no vote in how I birthed or how or when i breastfeed.

This might sound over simplified, but i wouldn't have married a man who did not respect my authority on these issues Or who felt he had any sort of presuading *say* in what i do with my body.

the only time i would consider not breastfeefing to apease any man.. husband included.. is the day he can show me he has successfully begun producing enough milk to feed our child until they self wean.

·
Registered
11,714 Posts
DH is anti NIP I do it anyway, DH is anti extended BF, I argued out of it. He just got over it, it doesn't matter if he's anti BF or pro circ, I do what is best for my baby.

·
Banned
11,594 Posts
i'm with hawkfeather.

i looked for a partner who saw me as a person with equal agency to him. surprisingly, many of the men whom i dated did not hold to this notion. when i met my husband, we had so much in common AND he saw me as an equal with my own mind and agency AND he was damn fine lookin,' that i couldn't resist him!

he's 100% with me on so many issues it's scary. but, largely it's because he trusts me and my judgement--and once i 'splain' things to him, he sees the reasoning and goes "that makes total sense. why do we make things so hard on ourselves?"

·
Registered
12,020 Posts
Breastfeeding is not a negotiable subject in my house. I will nurse every single one of my children until we decide we are done. My DP has no say in the matter because they are not his breasts, he did not grow and birth the baby, but thankfully I have the best DP in the world because he 100% supports all of my decisions.

·
Registered
5,846 Posts
non-negotiable. I would provide him with all the info that I have, and if he actually tried to stop me? I'd file for divorce. I would.

eta: luckily DH is 1,000% supportive. He knows all the facts and gives advice to his guy friends with new babies

·
Registered
667 Posts
He'd have to eat his tongue, because I wouldn't hear about him not wanting me to do it.

But this is something we discussed while dating (how many kids we wanted, how we'd parent them - including if I would BF). He was fully supportive of my BFing for as long as the child and I wanted. If he had not been, I would have given him the boot possibly (unless he promised to shut up when I did BF).

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
I'm gonna go with the rest of you on this one---non-negotiable!
That and circ, just simply not an option.

Though I would lovingly try to inform him of the facts/benefits/etc.

But if he still opposed it, well...suck it up dude!

DH has actually commented a few times on DS still (occasionally) nursing.
I think this last time actually just caught him by surprise because I'm so pg, he just assumed that DS wasn't nursing anymore. Him: "OH. I didn't know he still did that..." Me: Yep, just a couple times a week, he was really tired"

I asked him how long he thought babies nursed for when DD was little, he said " I don't know, two years?"

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
i do what is in my baby's interest. period. i think dh knows enough not to question my parenting decisions. he has yet to research ONE issue more than me. until he does, i do what i want.

1 - 20 of 101 Posts