Mothering Forum banner
21 - 40 of 51 Posts

· Registered
3,595 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by gamom
All my family has to say is "are you still doing that..you are making a big deal out of nothing get some huggies or something"
Did ya slap them?

But really, I know! No one notices my kid's bum, and I always try to have the most best of the stash on when we go out. A woman at one of my mother's groups did notice Eamonn's football AIO last week - but commented "OH! What a cute cover to hide the diaper. Where *did* you find that?" When I told her it was cloth her eyes got very big...

· Registered
273 Posts
I get sad when people don't ask either

What is shocking is my SIL actually pulled two diapers our of my diaper bag last weekend and just oohed and aahed over them, lol! She is the sposie gueen, lol. From dipes, to bibsters!

I have Ivy's 4th of July outfits all planned out and if no one notices I'll just be so sad

· Registered
2,212 Posts
The ladies at my PO always comment on Aubrey's soakers
Of course, they know I am there sending my sold jewelry to buy them! And my neighbor always notices - it seems Aubrey is always wearing an advocacy shirt when our kids play together and she always reads it aloud. They do Ezzo, sposies and she didn't feel like even trying to bf (in her words) and of her 3 kids but she is pretty nice about me doing cloth. Anyway, it is not about her, it is about the kids. My son is in love (as a friend - he is only 3!) with her 5 year old daughter.

· Registered
2,613 Posts
Ya know who always notices Holden's diapers - kids! Kids are always commenting on how cute his diapers are, or asking me what kind of diapers he has because their little brother/sister only has white ones (sposies). But lately, I have had a lot of people commenting on my water sling. So I at least get to advocate about that, lol!

· Registered
1,702 Posts
I've started to shy away from the pickle pants in company b/c they look like shorts... people do ask if I croched them and I say they're a diaper cover for his cloth, then pull back the back to show of the fitted underneath.

My IL's are having a 4th of July party and I'm leaning towards my fuz DGs (blue sky & turnip) and FCB embroidered windpro so it's much more OBVIOUS.

BTW while travelling we got delayed in Chicago and had a little imprompteu playgroup. I mentioned to the Dad travelling with his son to go meet Mama for the weekend about Noah's cloth diaper. He said "We use it too *whispering* it's not that hard"
He also works P/T to take care of his son- what a great Dad (my DH is a great Dad, too but it's always good to meet more)

· Registered
6,787 Posts
It ticks me off that no one ever ever ever comments on my diapers! :)LOL Eden's diapers I mean) She has some cute diapers!!! I would be happy even with a negative comment here and there. Neutral comments would be greatly appreciated. The only comments I have gotten...with my first we had a nurse come visit and she said it was great.
Then with my my second dd last year a friend said her Fuzzibunz was cute. Oh and we did convert a friend at LLL once. Ok, so I have gotten 3 statements in my years of cloth diapering.
: Drives me nuts!

· Registered
4,226 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by bobica
i felt the same way yesterday! DD's dr's appt- perfect time to have her in cloth, right? put her in an aqua fuzzibunz that coordinated PERFECTLY with her blue floral shirt & not ONE comment! Bizzare, that's what it is, bizzare! 3 comments on how she's the gerber baby, not one about the diaper. ugh.
:
I used to get those gerber baby comments all the time when DS was like 5 months old...I wanted to tell people he didn't eat any gerber's, he was a mama's milk baby, but I never had the guts
:

Stacey, were you down the Jersey shore? It's a miracle notice anything at that place, it's a zoo. I'm sure Henry was the cutest thing around!

· Registered
4,623 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by gamom
All my family has to say is "are you still doing that..you are making a big deal out of nothing get some huggies or something" go figure...been doing it for 9 months (the first month couldnt since he was in the hospital)
OMG - is your family related to my ILs?? We just spent a week with them and saw all the SILs and BILs from that side of the family. I brought all my most adorable diapers and soakers and not ONE person commented on them! The only comment I got was from my pregnant SIL who said "OH, we could never do cloth. YUCK. I don't want to be tied to my washing machine". When DH and I tried to enlighten her she just got a glazed look in her eyes and her husband changed the subject! People - I tell ya.....

· Registered
1,453 Posts
I've never had strangers comment on my dd dipes either
But I think people who use cd are just more friendlier
Most people are afraid to say hi!

BUt at my doc's office, they love her dipes, slings, wetbags, and there are 4 young girls for assistants and office help, so they always ask me questions or comment on how cute everything is, so at least they know there's an option when they have their families

· Registered
1,171 Posts
My favorite comment: "Is that a cloth diaper? I've read about them in Mothering Magazine, but this is the first time I've ever seen one!"

Most people assume they are just some kind of coverup for a throwaway, I think.

· Registered
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
In 8 years of CDing, I have had probably a dozen conversations with stangers about CDing. Either they make a nice comment like...."good for you" (which I also get for homebirthing, homeopathy, and being a vegetarian:LOL!!!) or they actually turn & run when I pull a CD out of my diaper bag!
:

"NOOOOOOOOOOO!!! I won't look at them!!" Some of them have pulled out small vials of holy water or a cross & held it up to my face.....strange

· Registered
460 Posts
My son's Pedi loves his diapers! She always asks me to tell her how it works and what's it made of and says she loves that we use cloth. She said "VERY classy diapers, I'm impressed" to him last time and he just grinned. She even puts it back on him herself! He was in a Beatrix Potter print Bunny Hugs AIO. She's the only one who ever comments though. No one ever says a thing when I'm changing him in public. I changed him on the floor of the cry room at church recently and everyone kindof just watched. Like, what the heck? She's putting that big diaper in a bag and taking it home? How does that work?

· Registered
4,226 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Annette&Aden
My son's Pedi loves his diapers! She always asks me to tell her how it works and what's it made of and says she loves that we use cloth. She said "VERY classy diapers, I'm impressed" to him last time and he just grinned. She even puts it back on him herself! He was in a Beatrix Potter print Bunny Hugs AIO. She's the only one who ever comments though. No one ever says a thing when I'm changing him in public. I changed him on the floor of the cry room at church recently and everyone kindof just watched. Like, what the heck? She's putting that big diaper in a bag and taking it home? How does that work?

Yes, I've had people show me the trash can before when I put a wet diaper in my wetbag - "Oh, you don't have to take that home - we have trash here!"

Like I'm really going to throw away this GORGEOUS AIO!

· Premium Member
3,785 Posts
My DD was in cloth, a blue night sky HH, at the pedi. The nurses all ooo and aahed over how cool it was, how cute it was, how they had never seen anything like it. They pulled people into our room to see it! BUT my pedi looked at and said "I've never seen anything like that! But that's okay, you can still use it." WHAT! Like I am not going to use cloth because my pedi said he hasn't seen them before??

What we DO get comments on ALL the time is our sling, Maya Wrap, especially when DH wears DD. I think I could probably sell them if I had 'em with me at Kroger!

· Registered
515 Posts
Quote:
"NOOOOOOOOOOO!!! I won't look at them!!" Some of them have pulled out small vials of holy water or a cross & held it up to my face.....strange
How funny is THAT?!?!?!? Most people unfortunately, just don't get it......I bet he was the best dressed child there!

· Registered
2,805 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ustasmom
You want to know who notices? Senior citizen women, that's who. They can notice beautiful hand knit soakers from across the room. I have had several older ladies approach me about our soakers.

This is so true! I've been knitting soakers on my bus commute to/from work, and all the senior citizen ladies (and even a few gentlemen) comment or nod approvingly! Some younger people ask what they are, but I think they get confused and think I'm making wool underwear. And then they get this funny look on their face and I can tell they're thinking, "Oooo, scratchy.... poor kid..." :LOL

· Registered
3,886 Posts
The throwing away diapers thing deserves it's own thread!! My sister is always in shock when LIbby has a poopie. She says "Oh my gosh, now what do you do??" DUH. Clean it, dump it, throw it in the pail with all the other diapers.

She HONESTLY thought I just threw them out when she pooped. Yeaaah, there's a way to save $$ with my cloth diapers! Throw them out 3x/day when the kid poops!

Kimberly

21 - 40 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.