Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are they the same thing as a foodprocessor?

I'm going to be canning tomatoes and apple butter and directions both call for one of these. I have a food processor, if I can use it?

·
Premium Member
14,677 Posts
A food mill is a device that will push the pulp of a fruit (like tomatoes or apple) through a sieve but keeps the skins behind. Essentially pureeing the pulp and sieving at the same time.

A sieve is usually a wire mesh used to strain an item... sometimes called a strainer, although a strainer can also refer to a colander which is quite different from a sieve.

With a sieve, you would usually use a spatula or a spoon to push the pulp through the screen whereas with a food mill you just crank the handle.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Hi! I'm right there with you. Decided to freeze the tomatoes (well fate decided as my canner hadn't arrived yet!) and canning applesauce and apple butter.

I don't know.... I haven't decided yet if I'm going to get a sieve - what's the opinion of anyone who didn't go through a sieve...

·
Premium Member
14,677 Posts
I never strain my applesauce. I cut the apples into chunks and leave them that way. For tomatoes, sieving them will remove the skins. If the skins don't bother you, skip it. Applebutter can be pureed if you want it smoother.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ThaNk you - I have a food mill in my attic, I just got it down... THinking all this time it was for powdered sugar... LOL! We never use powdered sugar but my dh would never let me get rid of it. LOL.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
We just made gobs of applesauce and was the food mill a joy to use! We literally washed and quartered the apples, cooked them in dutch ovens for about 10 minutes with approximately one cup of water. After they cooled enough to handle, we ran them through the food mill and got gorgeous sauce. I do like chunky sauce and this didn't produce that but if you make a bunch this way, you could stir in some that's made a bit chunkier (with more labor intensive methods!). Have fun!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.