Mothering Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Two weeks ago I started Pristiq for depression and anxiety. Tomorrow I see my psychiatrist again, and I don't know if this medication is working, or working enough... Overall I've had more good days than bad, but still had some anxiety/depression bad enough to have two instances of self injury, and my finger nails/skin are ripped apart. I know medication isn't a cure-all and won't make a person feel great 100% of the time, and I'm not expecting that. Should it keep me from getting to that point though? I haven't started therapy yet, FYI...I go to my first session this Saturday, and I know that is a huge part of treatment. Should I give it a few more weeks on Pristiq? Or see if I should try something else? I'm new to medication for psych reasons, so I don't know if my expectations are realistic.<br><br>
Thanks.

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Pristiq is new so I'm not up to date on it, but most the modern ADs, like SSRIs, take a good 4-6 weeks to really take hold. Some people feel it sooner than that, but not all. I'd say 2 weeks is way too soon to determine whether it's working for you or not.<br><br>
I understand the SI part. I do that too when things get bad, mainly because i get extreme anxiety to accompany it. Does that happen to you too? Or are you just plain depressed and not anxious? If you've got the anxiety too, talk to your pdoc about something like Xanax to tide you over until the AD can kick in.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts