Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read something here (can't find it now) about die-off or some other term like that. Can it be caused by drinking kombucha? The bottle says drink at least 1 a day so I did for a few days a couple of weeks ago, but then I felt light-headed and strange...could it have been from the kombucha? I'm starting to re-introduce and was curious how slowly I should go...

eta: I was under a lot of stress during that light-headed time, too, so I thought it could have been stress... (food didn't have flavor, either)

thanks

·
Registered
759 Posts
I am going to jump on this thread too. I am confused and want to know more about die-off....I hear about it here and there relating to kombucha, kefir and coconut oil. I am curious to get some more information ( and I did a search but found nothing concrete)
WHAT is supposed to be dying off? candida? I also suspect it might have some stimulating influence on the liver? and what are the symptoms? is there any research and/or concrete science?

Anyway...more info would be great

Tanya

·
Registered
7,801 Posts
Basically what happens is the candida and such aren't being fed either by great diet or are being combated by a certain good bacteria-heavy food. You will have symptoms because your body has to process it somehow. Some symptoms might include headache, aches and pains in muscle tissue, fatigue, feeling kid of sick, and etc. Sometimes I have gotten a rather large pimple somewhere , which is highly uncharacteristic of my skin. I am no scientist or expert, this is just what I know offhand.
I think the candida release a toxic somethingorother when they die which is what causes all of this.

In fact, after my first batch of kombucha, I did get a rather large pimple smack in the middle of my cheeck

I know someone here has the scientific stuff on this.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tcarwyn View Post
I am going to jump on this thread too. I am confused and want to know more about die-off....I hear about it here and there relating to kombucha, kefir and coconut oil. I am curious to get some more information ( and I did a search but found nothing concrete)
WHAT is supposed to be dying off? candida? I also suspect it might have some stimulating influence on the liver? and what are the symptoms? is there any research and/or concrete science?

Anyway...more info would be great

Tanya
I've always been curious about the process of die off too.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
"die off" happens when "bad" organisms are killed (either by the antifungal, antimicrobial effects of the lauric acid in CO, or in the case of candida, simply starving to death). the body has to get this stuff OUT. it's a good, old fashioned detox. "detox" and "die off" can be used interchangeably.

die off symptoms (think DETOX symptoms) vary according to how much there is to get out. think about it like cleaning out your refrigerator. it's rarely a pleasant chore, but sometimes it's not so bad. toss the moldy cheese and a carton of old leftovers, wipe it down, you're done! but sometimes, if you've let it go WAY too long, you have all kinds of nasty stuff growing in there and it will take a lot of work to get it really clean.

·
Registered
7,801 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by provocativa View Post
Usually you're going to fart a lot and may have some cramping. The microorganisms release gasses when they die. You can minimize the effects with enzyme supplementation. See www.enzymestuff.com
Yes, and usually when you start enzymes and things it can also speed it up a bit. Or make it a little easier on your body.
The thing I notice the most are headaches. You just have to keep up the good eating, drink lots of water, and ride it out

1 - 7 of 7 Posts