Mothering Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OW - I'm having really bad menstrual type cramping, its been going on for 2-3 days now, and is progressively getting worse! I can especially feel it when the baby is moving around down there, and I can feel what I think is one of baby's shoulders jabbing into my right hip.

It feels like baby might be pretty low, but I'm carrying super small (even though my midwife thinks its going to be a good size baby), and my belly looks lower, but it doesn't look like baby really dropped yet. Whenever I walk, go up stairs, down stairs, or sit on my birth ball it gets worse.

What is this??? I have another final to finish before this baby can show up, but this is keeping me pretty distracted from everything! Any ideas to get baby to chill out for another few days at least to finish my test?

Oh yeah, I'm keeping extra hydrated, and eating plenty of good stuff.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by thyra View Post
I don't think its labor b/c while it will be regular for a while, it stops after a few hours (like its taking a break) and then starts bothering me a few hours later.
Sounds like prodromal labor to me. Your body may be working its way up to labor. I'd suggest getting lots of rest whenever you can. I had prodromal labor for 4 weeks before my daughter came (it's usually not that long by ANY means! typically, only a few days) and the day it happened, I did NOT have enough sleep the night before

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by xakana View Post
Sounds like prodromal labor to me. Your body may be working its way up to labor. I'd suggest getting lots of rest whenever you can. I had prodromal labor for 4 weeks before my daughter came (it's usually not that long by ANY means! typically, only a few days) and the day it happened, I did NOT have enough sleep the night before

AHHHH!!!! I need this baby to wait until 39 weeks!! I'll gladly put up with this for a few more weeks if baby will wait!!!!!

Although....if baby comes in a few days then I have a really good excuse to stay home on x-mas day
:

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
I agree with Xakana! I had that with my first as well. Not to worry, despite the contractions, and dilating up to 4 cm, and 100% effacement over a period of WEEKS, my labor still didn't develop until I had a shot of pitocin at 41 weeks. Per my MW and Doula friends: fluids, rest, good food, warm baths, and call your CP if the contractions don't ease up after the above remedies, or get to more than every 5-7 minutes.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Yeah, it's probably just the warm-up act.

Keep taking care of yourself. Not sure how you feel about alcohol in late pregnancy, but a glass of wine or a beer can help quiet the uterine muscle for a while...

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
Im having the same thing...i even had the midwife check me and im still stuck at 2cm and 50% effaced(that was on tues) and now im on strict bedrest(YET AGAIN)

They are "contractions" just not very useful ones! LOL

·
Registered
394 Posts
Not in your DDC but--sounds like it could be a bladder infection. Just a thought. Bladder infections in pregnancy can present as menstrual-like crampiness. Just a thought--hope you feel better soon!

·
Premium Member
5,213 Posts
Sounds like what is happening to me. It is driving me insane. MW said I'm at 1cm and since I want baby to come... she put me on EPO nightly along with Red Raspberry and Black and Blue Cohosh three times a day. This can't last forever...

You aren't alone.
I'm trying to remain positive and am looking at it as good practice?

·
Registered
412 Posts
Good luck on your final today! I totally agree, I think it's prodromal labor, get your rest while you can and remember annoying as they are, it's all "doing something" to help your baby find the right position and lower down.

I could so use a dirty martini right now
TOTALLY kidding, but still. . .

·
Registered
108 Posts
This sounds like exactly the same thing I'm experiencing right now. It started yesterday afternoon and was especially intense at about 3 a.m. this morning. It died down enough for me to go back to sleep, but now that I'm up and about it's hurting again. Baby seems to be moving around a lot and moving down.

I never had this with my first one, so I have no idea if this is pre-labor and he'll be here soon or if I could go on for weeks like this!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.