Mothering Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you say when it's time to nurse? What does your little one say? (assuming they can talk). Do you have a special name for breastfeeding?

The twins I nursed until they self weaned at 18mths old (my longest so far) so they were my only ones talking while nursing. I would always ask them if they wanted "mommy milk" and they'd reply "milk milk"

·
Registered
27 Posts
I've seen people use "nurse," "nummies," and the worst imo, "tittie." Of course, her two year old waited till she was on the public bus, and then screamed, "TITTIE!!!" That's not embarassing.... :LOL

·
Registered
6,294 Posts
I always just said, "time to nurse" I never got into any nicknames. And I don't really understand them, either. Do we say, time to "eaty-weety'" (or whatever) when it's time for their sandwich? (Well, some people may, for all I know!) More power to anyone if a cutesy name for it works for you. But they really do make me cringe.

Then again, when my toddler is demanding, "Nurse me in rocking chair right now!" when I am trying to eat my breakfast, that makes me cringe, too. Can't win...

·
Registered
19,261 Posts
Nee-nee

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
My kids just ask to nurse....as in "Mama, may I please nurse?" or "Can I nurse when you have a minute?" I'm nursing my almost-3 year old and my almost-5 year old (and we have a baby on the way in about 3 months!).

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
When dd was very young (under 6m) we got in the habit of calling it "boobie". Then I decided that was probably not the best thing, and I started to call it "milk", and then "milkey". Now dd (13 m) says "Mil-Mee" and signs "more" at the same time.

Funny side-bar. At 9 months I started making the sign for "milk" hoping dd would catch on. She never did, but went on to learn tons of other signs. A few weeks ago we got a book that had the sign for cow, which was also the sign we used for milk. To my suprise, dd now signs "eat" when she sees a cow (and the baby on that page making the cow/milk sign). It took me a few times to catch on, but she must remember me making that sign when she was nursing, and now associates it with eating. I know she could do that sign if she wanted considering she learned the 8 other animal signs from that book already. I just thought that was a cute development. Sorry for the ramble

·
Registered
10,284 Posts
When DD was little, I probably just said something like 'oh you are hungry' I dont' think I called it anything to her necessarily. But at some point she got old enough that her way of indicating she wanted to nurse was to dive into my shirt (probably around 9-10 months?) which while I didn't mind much when we were at home I didn't really want to make a habit of. I started calling it "na-na" because it was something she could say at that time and was fairly generic (I'm not really keen on my children shouting 'boobie!' in the middle of the mall
) anyway - she caught on to that right away and stop trying to pull my shirt down to my bellybutton.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
I always asked if ds wanted to nurse or, for some reason, if he was upset, I found myself calling it "nurse-nurse." He started out signing for it. He still does that, but now he talks about it too. For a while he was calling it "bah-bah." It seemed to be his attempt at saying "breast." I picked it up, and we used that for a while. Then he started saying "side" when he wanted to switch sides (because I'd ask if he wanted the other side). Then he started using "side" (or "side-side") for nursing in general. He still does that, and I use it (along with "nurse").

The latest names, however, are more precise. My left breast is apparently named "Da-da," and this morning he was pointing to the right one and calling it "Mama." Maybe this is his way of making sure Daddy feels involved in our breastfeeding relationship...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.