Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I mean, I know that superwash wool can be washed in the machine, but does anyone know how it can do that? Does it retain the "warmth when wet" quality of regular wool? Are horrible noxious chemicals used to make wool superwash? I love the idea, but find myself wondering.

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
Somehow when they make wool superwash it looses it's ability to felt. I believe it is a chemical process to change the fiber. But I know that it is a chemical process to make it 'moth-proof' which is what I see most super wash is.

As for if you want to use it- well, I think it has purposes. I am doing mitten cuffs and a pair of socks for DH out of superwash. I believe it retains the 'warm when wet'. If you are looking for an inbetween yarn- try peace fleece. I knit myself and my kids sweaters out of it and I throw them in the wash on cool and tumble dry them a little then hang them up to finish drying. It is about the best of both worlds...

·
Registered
23 Posts
No- superwash wool does not retain any of the qualities that we love about wool. Making it superwash removes all of the lanolin- I don't like to knit with it- it's slippery like acrylics and it no longer has the 'memory' that makes wool garments so comfortable. It is still a natural fiber however.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.