Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know I am posting alot ..but I have lots of ??

I was just wondering what everyone thought the best pump was ??
Thanks

·
Banned
11,133 Posts
Depends on how you feel.
With one of my babies, the Medela handpump was great, for another the Avent, for another it was the electric Medela double pump.

Many health insurances now cover breastpumps, so, I would check and get one from them first.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I use the Medela Pump-In-Style (double electric) and love it. I haven't tried any other brands, but I really like my pump. It's the old style and a little rough on the nips at first, but it got me through 4 or so months of everyday, 2x/day use when I had to go back to work when DS was 6 months old. I use it much less frequently now, but it still works just fine!

·
Registered
6,951 Posts
I EP so I prefer a hospital grade pump. I bought a Medela Lactina Select on ebay for $400. (new $700) If you go that route, please get the serial # from the seller and call medela to find out if it is a stolen pump. You wont be able to get it serviced if it is a stolen pump. (obviously) It wourks great and I have a great supply. But from what I hear the Medela Symphony is much more gentle.

·
Premium Member
14,038 Posts
It depends on what you need the pump for (will you be pumping several times a day? once a day? do you have access to an outlet where you'll be pumping?) and on how you react to the individual pumps.

If you can, try out a few different pumps...I found that the Avent Isis worked really really well for me despite the fact that I pumped twice a day 5 days a week for over a year. Even though it's a hand pump (so most people wouldn't recommend it for daily pumping) I got 5-6 ounces per breast in about 15 minutes with it. I tried an electric pump for a while and got less milk in the same amount of time (plus it was noisy and meant I had to either burn through batteries or find an outlet) so I stuck with the Isis.

But every mama is different and a pump that works like a charm for one mama may not work so well for another! The only thing I'd suggest (other than trying different pumps to see what worked best for you) is to avoid the manual pumps that are made by formula companies. They aren't motivated to produce a great pump (since a frustrated mama might turn to formula) and I've heard some negative feedback on the quality of those pumps as well.

·
Registered
6,951 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by wombatclay
It depends on what you need the pump for (will you be pumping several times a day? once a day? do you have access to an outlet where you'll be pumping?) and on how you react to the individual pumps.

If you can, try out a few different pumps...I found that the Avent Isis worked really really well for me despite the fact that I pumped twice a day 5 days a week for over a year. Even though it's a hand pump (so most people wouldn't recommend it for daily pumping) I got 5-6 ounces per breast in about 15 minutes with it. I tried an electric pump for a while and got less milk in the same amount of time (plus it was noisy and meant I had to either burn through batteries or find an outlet) so I stuck with the Isis.

But every mama is different and a pump that works like a charm for one mama may not work so well for another! The only thing I'd suggest (other than trying different pumps to see what worked best for you) is to avoid the manual pumps that are made by formula companies. They aren't motivated to produce a great pump (since a frustrated mama might turn to formula) and I've heard some negative feedback on the quality of those pumps as well.
I have heard great things about the Avent Isis (though I never used one) I even heard of people EPing with them! I agree about avoiding pumps made by formula companies. Also avoid the Gerber hand pump (junk) and the first years single electric pump. I had the first years single electric pump (its around $40) it cycles very slow, is super loud, very painful to use, and it actually pulled off a part of my nipple!

·
Registered
128 Posts
If you are going to pump a lot and are willing to pay, rent a Medela Symphony to try out. I had to use one when my DS was in the NICU and when I switched to the PIS I borrowed from my sister, it didn't compare to the gentleness of the Symphony. So now I rent a Symphony and have for more than 4 months now. It's worth it to me since I pump 3x/day 5 days/week. At home on the weekends, since I only pump once per day, I use the PIS which is ok too.

·
Registered
5,727 Posts
I love the Medela PIS!!!
I was expecting to pump only on rare occasions, but we battled thrush for the first two months and the PIS was a lifesaver. I'm pretty sure without it, I'd have given up on BFing. But it did the trick and now we're going strong without it.

But whatever you get, please do not buy a used electric pump. It's hazardous to you and especially to your baby as bodily fluids can get inside the pump where you can't get to them. Even if you can't see them, they can be there. It's one thing to take a chance with someone you know, but it's dangerous to use an electric pump from a stranger.

Manual pumps typically come apart and can be completely sanitized, but not the electric non-hospital grade ones.

Good luck

1 - 8 of 8 Posts