Mothering Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Obviously they are unique in their own ways, craftmanship, style etc but I am having a hard time deciding which one to get. I know the Kozy has the head support, do you like this? What other differences are there? It looks like the Kozy has a longer body too...If anyone has both can you compare them for me, and what you prefer? You can pm me too...
Thank you!!

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
The Freehand has a shorter and narrower body. The body is a little different shaped too as you can see on her in-stock page. It's narrower by about 3 inches I think. The straps are a nice sturdy soft cotton twill?? I like how they feel and she has tapered ends which help with tying.

The Kozy is taller and wider and the straps are canvas which is a heavier/rougher material IMO. They soften up with washing. They just don't feel as nice as the Freehands. The body has a rounded top.

Both are made with absolutely top quality materials and craftswomanship.

I happen to like the Freehand better because I like smaller body styles but that's just my preference. Many love their Kozys because they like larger body styles.

The taller body is nice for smaller babies but you can get them low in the Freehand too-she has some nice pics on her site of little ones being low enough that their head is supported. But I do like my Freehand becuase it gives him a little more upper body freedom that he likes now.

So it boils down to which fabrics do you like and do you want a bigger or smaller body style...
They both are great carriers!
Ann

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you Ann! That was a great comparison. So would you say that the Freehand would be better for smaller folks? This is a what I am concerned about. I am 100 pounds and 5'3 and I have a hard time with some carriers such as the Ergo. I am now thinking that the FH would be better suited for me because of this? And my sister is taller at 5'10 and about 130 pounds, and she wants to find a carrier for doing a back carry, but she will be bending over a lot as per her work, so would the Kozy be better for her? Because of the height?

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
Both MTs can fit anyone very well - the body size of a MT is more relevant for the child, rather than the person wearing him/her. My 70 wore my 3mo in a Freehand the other day, and in the Kozy site you can see a very young girl (maybe 11-12) wearing a Kozy!!! MTs are really one-size fits most (larger people can benefit from longer straps)

For me FH and Kozys are like apples and bananas - they are so different nad good in their own way. You can do everything you need in either one, but each is best for a different thing IMO.

For example, you can have a bigger baby sleeping in a FH just fine if you know how to adjust it, he/she might fell more comfy sleeping in a Kozy. And when your baby is awake, he might feel more free to play in a FH than in a Kozy, though they can play in Kozys too. This is just my experience with my toddler in a short vs long body MT.

My little baby liked both

I have a Freehand and tried a Kozy briefly. I am keeping my Freehand and should be getting my first Kozy soon. I think that if you have an older baby, the ideal is to have both

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
I do think the size of the carrier is relevent to the person sometimes. I happen to like the smaller body style but my DS is fine in either one really. So again, it depends on the person.

Kelley, The maker of Kozy is a very small person like you and she obviously likes the bigger style
and it works fine for her. If you look on her site you can see how the carrier looks on her just as a reference.

But to start out then I think you might try the smaller style and see how it works for you. Since you have to choose I'm just trying to offer something to tip the scale

I think either is fine for back carries-both are safe and secure. But yes, if your SIL feels more comfortable (safety wise) with a taller body then the Kozy would be good for her.
Happy shopping
Ann

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by crystallynn
The only thing I don't like about the FH is the lack of head support. Other than that, it is one of the most comfortable carriers I have.
Well, well... the head support in a Freehand depends on how you tie it!
Kaire used to have great pictures from her RenFest at the old Freehand site. One of them shoed her wearing her 1 yo (I think) DD - the little girl was sleeping INSIDE the Freehand with plenty of support!! Just ask Kaire more about it

·
Registered
359 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by AnnR33
The Kozy is taller and wider and the straps are canvas which is a heavier/rougher material IMO. They soften up with washing. They just don't feel as nice as the Freehands. The body has a rounded top.
Ok....I HATE to disagree with one of my very best Cyberbuddies, Ann, but WHAT??????

I have had several carriers with twill straps.....and have two at this moment. Twill has some nice qualities....it likely won't fade as much, etc....but for softness of straps b/t a soft canvas and twill? Soft canvas hands down! (Though my favorite straps material is actually Sachi's bull denim.....but we won't even go there! :LOL )

Longer body....I felt it was very uselful when ds # 3 was a floppy headed infant, and I find it imperative with my very tall 3 y.o..

But probably no one else is slinging a 3 y.o.!

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by SlingMomEsq
Longer body....I felt it was very uselful when ds # 3 was a floppy headed infant, and I find it imperative with my very tall 3 y.o..

But probably no one else is slinging a 3 y.o.!

Do you find a MT as comfortable as a woven wrap to carry your 3yo over longer periods of time?

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
SlingMomEsq said:
Ok....I HATE to disagree with one of my very best Cyberbuddies, Ann, but WHAT??????

I have had several carriers with twill straps.....and have two at this moment. Twill has some nice qualities....it likely won't fade as much, etc....but for softness of straps b/t a soft canvas and twill? Soft canvas hands down! (Though my favorite straps material is actually Sachi's bull denim.....but we won't even go there! :LOL ) QUOTE]

You think Kozy straps are softer than Freehand straps really?? The Freehand staps are a nice smooth cotton vs the slightly textured canvas Kozys. Maybe the FH aren't twill but something else-bottomweight? I don't know my fabric lingo...but yes-I think the FH are softer myself.

But just goes to show that everyone likes different things!

(I can't believe we disagreed about something Slingmomesq LOL)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts