Mothering Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not talking about "seeing" a HB on an u/s, but actually HEARING a HB via doppler. For some reason I always thought it was by 10 weeks...but...I've noticed a few here and there who have been at 9 weeks and heard it on the doppler.

I guess I'm just a little nervous because tomorrow I'll be exactly 9 weeks, and its also my next MW appt. I'm so desperately wanting to hear my baby's HB. Part of me doesn't want to believe this is really real until that happens.

My last pregnancy ended in a blighted ovum and my body never released the pregnancy on its own (even after spotting off and on for three weeks, and we confirmed through two sets of u/s's that there was no baby)......I had to have a D&C at 9.5 weeks last time. So now I have this little fear in the back of my mind that its going to happen again only I've not had hardly any spotting this time around (haven't had any at all for 2.5 weeks now, and even then it was very minor).

So what was the earliest any of you ever heard the HB on the doppler?

·
Registered
4,336 Posts
Hey DDC crashing. We heard this baby at 8 wks via, u/s. I heard it in the dr office next week at exactly 9 wks. She said we may hear it and that the earliest she had ever heard a babe was 8 wks on a doppler. Right after she said that there it was. Good luck and don't worry if it can't be found-9 wks is pretty early. I even was told 10 wks was early for my DD, but we heard her too. My kids like to be heard from day one.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I don't know what the answer is but my MW made my first appt for 11 weeks and said we will probably hear the heartbeat at that visit but even then there is no reason to freak out b/c it is still very early. I know what you mean about not wanting to believe the pregnancy is real until then b/c I feel the very same way. Although I have had bad nausea the past two days which is reminding me that there is a baby in there, lol.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
From what I read, you can hear a heartbeat via Doppler before week12. But, it depends on the angles and how everything is lined up, so sometimes, it can be harder or impossible. Usually one can hear it though after week 12.

I can't wait to have a heartbeat confirmation either. My mother had several miscarriages, and I am just always a bit anxious. I am 9+5

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
My mw said hers has picked up around 8 weeks... I made my appt for 10 weeks, but I am not getting my hopes up. With all of my pregnancies, only one have I been able to hear the HB earlier than 14 weeks via doppler.

·
Registered
558 Posts
With my first it was 11 wks. With the 2nd, I was at an appt at 10 wk and a couple of days. MW said she would try, that we might could hear the heartbeat because I was thin. She seemed to think, I guess, fat insulated the sound, I don't know, but we heard it. I plan to schedule my first appt after 10 wks with this one.

·
Registered
619 Posts
I have a friend who is a midwife who said 9 weeks is about the earliest she would try to hear on the doppler, but not to be disappointed if you don't hear it that early. Sounds like by 12 you should almost definitely hear something.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
w/ds2 we weren't able to hear at 9 wks. We went back at 12 weeks and heard it. I wonder if there are Dopplers with different sensitivities? That could also be why some have heard early and some later.

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
I know what you are saying, shanti. I am 8w3d and have an appointment a week from today and desparately want to hear the HB. In my last pregnancy I had an U/S at 10 weeks and they found no heartbeat.. I feel like I can't get excited till I hear it. Hang in there! It won't be long now!

·
Registered
405 Posts
We Heard and saw the heartbeat via vaginal ultrasound at 7wks 5days! It was amazing! We have not had an external doppler yet, that will be at our next OB appt on 4/30.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.