Mothering Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<p>My 3 year old is learning Vietnamese from a college student who offered to tutor her (my daughter is Vietnamese and wanted to learn to speak Vietnamese, but my husband and I aren't VNese and don't speak the language, so we found a student at the local university who is from Hanoi and offered to teach DD.)</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Anyhow, the tutor is really really shy about setting a price (she's shy in general) and I don't want to undercharge her.  I was thinking of offering $15 per 45 minute session, but I have no idea if I'm really off the mark and am under charging her.  So, for those that are or who use college age tutors, what is the going rate?</p>

·
Registered
664 Posts
<p>A couple years ago, I hired a Chinese college student to play with my dd in Chinese for the same purpose that you seek.  I paid her $10/hour.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>On the other hand, if you are a college student who is really good at math or physics, you can get $20/hour to tutor a high school student.</p>

·
Registered
159 Posts
<p>its really a regional thing.  find the babysitting rate and 1.5-2 times it.</p>

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
<p>My children saw a tutor this summer - like you, we live in the Midwest.  She was not college aged, has her teaching degree/license, and is Montessori trained.  We paid $25/hour.  I'm guessing you could pay less for a college student.  Your suggestion of $15/45 minutes seems very reasonable to me.</p>

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
<p>The rate varies a lot. When I tutored in writing, I typically charged $30/hour.</p>

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
<p>Here in Toronto I was making $25/hr...in 1995. I think rates are more like $45/hr now.</p>

·
Registered
6,771 Posts
<p>Centres here charge about 35 an hour.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Individuals vary - people who make their living doing this and have a solid reputation charge 25-35 an hour.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Teens charge about 10-15$</p>
<p> </p>
<p>For a college student I would expect to pay around 20/25$</p>

·
Premium Member
3,929 Posts
<p>Wow - I'm paying $20 for a half hour/$40 per hour for a math tutor for my son.  And I'm glad to get it.  This lady is teacher who tutors after school.</p>

1 - 11 of 11 Posts