Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well starting Friday i will be a SAHM to my 2 children 3yrs & 9months. Is there any great advice you have for me. My 3yr old son has lots of energy so i am sure i will be spending most of my time occuping him. I am trying to organize a play group at the moment for some per intercation.
Thanks,
Julie

·
Banned
4,450 Posts
Enjoy! Don't try to be supermom and get too much done. Play and teach your kids and enjoy them. That is a full time job. At daycare centers, they don't do chores while they watch kids so I don't do much either. I do a bit a day. Our house is clean and our clothes are, too, and the errands get run, a little a time. We have fun every day!

·
Premium Member
8,322 Posts
Congrats on your chance to be with your children 24/7. Now you will learn what it means to be home with your kids. I agree, do not be a supermom. Ease into this and go to the park etc while the weather is warm out and get to know people before jumping into a playgroup deal. When the weather sends you indoors in the late fall, you can do a playgoup then.

The most important thing to me is watch my child grow up. Its an amazing thing that I am so lucky to see. Its worth evertything!

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Give yourself a good bit of time to get used to it. It will probably take a while for everyone to really settle in and find a rhythm that works for you all. Don't expect too much of yourself either. Some days can be really tough(I'm sure you already know that!) and you need to be able to accept that they will occur, you will be stressed the kids crazy and the house a wreck and that's ok. Becuase you can nap when the children do(if they are kind enough to nap at the same time :LOL ) and start fresh when you wake up. Or the next day. Have fun and enjoy your freedom to do stuff on your own schedule.

·
Registered
5,773 Posts
my advice is:

make sure to have time to yourself every day, even if you have to lock yoursself in the bathroom (but don't leave them unattended lol)

patience is more important than just about anything-- whether dinner is done, whether the house is clean, etc. Be patient with your kids, and understanding.

·
Registered
5,627 Posts
I agree with the previous posts that recommend some time sans kids. My husband and I have a great plan worked out where one night a week I get to go out and do my piano lessons and have time to myself, and another night he gets to go to a cafe and meet up with his friends. This is really essential to my sanity some weeks! Plus it gives my dh time alone with dd, which they both really enjoy.

·
Registered
4,531 Posts
For my family, it's important to know that when my husband is home in the evenings and weekends, he gives me plenty of time for myself and he does work around the house.

Another important thing for my family is that the money earned by my husband is "our" money.

Finally, for us it's extremely important that our daughter have a parent at home with her. Because of this, there's never any issue about how I feel about my job and the career I gave up.

·
Registered
6,294 Posts
For me, two things are crucial for the job. One is regularly scheduled time alone.

The other is friends. I'm not a playgroup type of person, not interested in hanging out with a group of women, because the conversations can never go beyond the superficial, with all those kids to tend to. But anyone who sah needs to have at least one close friend in the same situation. The person who you can call up on the spur of the moment and say, "We're coming over!" Preferably right on your block. Whose kids are roughly the same age as yours. You need to feel like there's someone there in the trenches with you who you can count on - and who can count on you.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts