Mothering Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So - it's been 11 months now - still no little feet pattering about. SInce DH is 42, we opted for a sperm analysis for him. We haven[t had the Dr follow-up, but since DH works at the hospitol where the lab is - he got to watch his swimmers boogie under the microscope, and the tech said it's about a 70, which is a good reading.

I'm assuming our next step is for me to call my Dr, since we're now thinking its me, not him, causing this "no-baby-ness" . What do I need to ask my Dr? What should I know before I make the appt.? What should I expect? Heck 0 What do I say when making the appt? Do I just say I need an appt? Or do I say I need an appt to figure out why I'm still not pregnant?

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Ok: Third try to respond. It got eaten twice already!

Yes if your hubby's SA is normal, you should go see your doctor.

Call and ask for a consultation appointment with the doc. The receptionist may or may not ask any further info (the receptionist at my doctor's office didn't ask for details).

If you chart, bring in a copy of your charts. You might want to bring in a copy of your hubby's SA. I did to give a complete picture but also because my hubby's doc didn't know much about interpreting the results.

Be prepared to discuss any concerns you have with your doctor. Don't wait until your doctor has her/his hand on the doorknob to mention this or that.

My doctor has herself experienced infertility so I think she wanted to get as much info as possible. So she ordered CD3 blood work (LH, estradoil, thyroid), an HSG and 7 DPO blood work (progesterone). I have the 7 DPO testing on Tuesday. I have a follow up appointment with my doctor to discuss the results in early August. I hope I'll be going in to discuss my BFP instead.

The HSG was relatively painful for me. Others describe it as uncomfortable, some as quite painful. The peace of mind of being told that the fluid flowed through my tubes was worth it. The increase in conception rates following an HSG also made it seem worth it to me.

That's my experience so far. If you have any questions for me, feel free to ask. For now
for you!

·
Registered
27,052 Posts
Have you been charting to find out if you're ovulating at all and if your luteal phase is long enough to support implantation?

Best of luck!

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I haven't been charting, as in temping. ( I was going to this month, but I can't find the #$^%#$ thermometer!
: ) I do keep track on the calendar of when AF is here, I've done that on and off for years. I'm pretty much every 25-30 days like clockwork, have been since I was 15. I had planned to get a bunch of dollar store OP sticks and use those this month to see when ovulation is - I also do somewhat keep track of CM, I know I get more before a little over a week before AF, I've always assumed that meant ovulation.

Honestly though - it never occurred to me that I could be infertile, or even fertilty-challeneged in any way. DH and I both come from huge families, with no history at ALL of any type of baby-making issues. I've been known to joke stuff like, "For heck's sake, I'm IRISH!"
I guess I just assumed those huge-family genetics would carry me thru, and I'm having a really hard time coping with the thought that I might not be able to make a baby. But I digress - cause it';s not the making a baby thats important as much as the being a mommy/daddy part that we want so badly. If we can't make one, we'll buy one, it's teh American way, right?

Back to the topic at hand, Yah, I do somewhat keep track of AF and ovulation, just not with temping.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
I completely understand about being surprised by it. My mom used to tell me when I was a teenager how easily she got pregnant with me and my brothers. So I figured three months tops. Here we are month 10! (I fudged my start date with the doctor
)

I understand what you mean about the thought of not being able to make a baby. I'm struggling with that myself. Every month I try to be hopeful but yet know that the hope makes AF all the more devasting. But you have to just keep trying.

You could just go buy a new thermometer - especially if the one you already have is not a basal one. They're not too expensive - usually under $15. You can pick one up at Target, Rite Aid, Walmart, various places like that. The basal body therm might be with the other therms or it might be hanging out with the PG tests.

You mentioned your hubby's age but not your own. Women over 35are typically encouraged to see their doc after 6 months of trying. If you want to ease into the testing, you could always talk to your doctor about getting the blood testing done and holding off on an HSG. Get the blood results, talk about what they indicate, go from there.

If that patch of CM is just a little over a week before AF as in 8, 9, 10 days, you might have a luteal phase issue.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I could buy another thermometer - but I found mine today. It was becoming a matter of principle, and of course, when I stoppe dlooking for it - I found it.

DH is older than I am - I'm only 29, which is why we tested DH first, that and a semen analysis is fairly straight forward. I'll be calling tomorrow to make an appt with my Dr.

Edit: I just called - I found out I was due for an annual exam anyway - so I get to go get poked and prodded on Friday. Why am I so nervous????

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
My hubby got tested first as well - like you said straight forward.

I'm just 25 so unfortunately youth doesn't guarantee anything.

I was extremely nervous too. Nervous my doctor wouldn't want to do anything and nervous about the tests that would be done if she did want to do testing.

Good luck with the appointment and let us know how things work out!

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I had my annual exam and asked the Dr. about pregnancy this morning. It was pretty frustrating and dissapointing for me, and I know that I wasn't going to leave with a magic pill that would make my pregnant, but I also wasn't expecting a lecture on charting and an appointment for 3 months away. I mean, it's alredy been a year, I don't want to wait 3 more months, and if I'd have know this, I would have gone in 6 months ago and lied and said it had been a year. And I *know* i'm being unrealistic, and I know I'm being silly, but I'm just so stinkin' frustrated with the length of time this is taking.
:

So I left with a pamphlet on infertility, and a lecture on losing weight, and a chart to fill in over the next 3 months. I know I should feel happy that "everything looks just about right for now" and that I should just be a good patient, and chart, and wait, but its already been a year. I wanted to be a mommy by now, not a patient who is still not pregnant, and who has to wait until October for more answers.
:

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Wow that really stinks! I've never heard of a doc doing that.
:

I don't think you're being unrealistic or silly at all. The insurance definition of TTC is sex without protection for 12 months. I assume you've put effort into getting some lovemaking in around the middle of your cycle which is above and beyond.

Are you considering seeing another doctor? Or perhaps you can talk to your current one about some blood tests while you chart?

I'm sorry you had such a lousy experience.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well if the def of TTC is 12+ months without protection, then we are past 12 months.
She gave me paperwork for a blood test - but I can't do it until monday, and she still wants me to shart at leas tuntil October to "make sure I'm ovulating" befre she does anything else. I'm just SO frustrated.. DH and I discussed surogacy va adoption vs foster-to-adopt the other night, becuase I jsut want to be a mom, and I'm not willing to wait for another years worth of charting and testing and crap first.

·
Registered
667 Posts
I know most dr's say 12+ months of well timed intercourse. Not just meaning BDing every day or every other day, but charting (temps and/or OPK's at least). This is what my RE said anyway.

If you're not happy w/ what the OB wants, find another one? {{HUGS}} I hope you can get things figured out. It'd be much cheaper to try at least an unmedicated IUI if there are no sperm issues vs. a surrogacy (at least the costs I've seen for surrogacy for my intended parents I am doing a surrogacy for). I don't know what your insurance is like, but maybe you can skip the OB and go to an RE? Some insurances require a referral from an OB though.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well DH's follow-up appt was today, and everything on his end is beautiful. The swimmers are swimmin, counts are good - so I'm going to chart for a month or 3 and see what happens. Right now I have DH calling me from work when he gets there to wake me up and tell me to take my temp - 4 days down, lots more to go.
I have a follow up at the end of Sept, and I'm hoping it'll be for a pregnancy test. *thinking positive thoughts*

·
Registered
667 Posts
If you can, I'd suggest an alarm over DH calling. I know it sounds silly, but that extra bit of talking (even just saying, "Okay" and hanging up the phone) could mean a slight change in temp. I don't even like hitting the off button on my alarm before taking my temp. But I am very picky and want 110% accuracy in my temps to make sure I get the correct O date, lol.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
How weird- it seems that if your doctor wants to be sure you're ovulating, she would just give you a progesterone test at 7dpo, have you use an OPK, or both. What's up with waiting three months to "make sure you ovulate?"
:

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
ItyBity if you were in Idaho I would swear you went to the same OB/GYN that I did. I am NOT going back to her.
Have you thought of getting an ovulation scope. I picked one up at Walmart. You just put saliva on it first thing in the morning before you eat or drink anything. Doen't matter what time you get up just as long as you do it before eating or drinking. Continue to temp too but the scope will change to a ferning pattern when you are Ovulating.
Many women also have really good success with acupuncture for ttc.

·
Registered
8,526 Posts
I've found that setting my cell phone alarm is the best way to get me to temp on time--it sounds different than my regular alarm, and I've been temping long enought hat I'm reaching for the thermometer bag before I even register that the thing's gone off.

Best of luck to you, ItyBity.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well, I'm a really deep sleeper, and hard to wake up. The phone works best , because the alarm goes off at 5:30, and I've been know to hit the sleep button for hours - apparently when it went off today, I hit snooze for over an hour (I had no idea - he told me when he called) before he realized I was hitting snooze and hadn't turned it off like he thought. When he came up at 7 right before he left to say good morning, I was still hitting snooze (and sound asleep - snoring!) , so he turned it off and reset it for 9 for me.
To wake up I have my alarm clock set, and the TV set to turn on to something obnoxious (like MTV) at a loud volume about 15 minutes later than the clock. The phone ringing is rare, and I've been known to just let it ring, but it will actually wake me up enough to register that its light in the room, or the tv is on, or the cats want food or something.

I think after a few days of hitting snooze and grabbing the thermometer, it may become habit. Until then - I need all the help I can get to just wake up - let alone wake up and do something specific.
:

I'm really considering switching Dr's - but this wasn't my regular Dr - this was a midwife! In fact, I picked this ob/gyn office, because they had more midwives than Dr's, and then the midwife I really liked left.
So I have to do soem poking around and find a place I like better that our insurance will cover - cause I'm just not thrilled with this place. I don't hate it, I'm just not lovin' it, ya know?

I bought a cheapie saliva scope - but I can't see ANYTHING thru it -
I gotta get a decent one I think. I also planned to get a few dollar store OPK's as backup.

Just gotta say I love this forum - it's awesome to know I'm not the only one out there dealing with this, because it can be SO frustrating sometimes. You guys all collectively rock.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Target has awesome OPKs, and they're cheap. I actually prefer them more than ClearBlue Easy ones even.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Just remember when using opk's (ov. pred. kits) that though you may get a + and detect your lh surge this does not mean you WILL ovulate.
As pp said the only way to know for sure if you are ovulating is by a thermal shift in temp (charting) and/or blood draw on cycle day 21 or so (7 days past o). However~~ only temp will tell you at that point if you are past ov. Not all women o on day 14, contrary to popular belief.

I know its
: . and frustrating and exhausting. But even if your doc were to hand you rx for clomid or some other ov stimulating drug you would still need to chart those cycles too. Looks like your getting started charting

Good luck to you~ I hope you are seeing double very soon

oh and when ttc our 1st, dh would always wake at 6am to get ready for work and though I usually slept an hour later he'd slip the thermom. in my mouth, wait til it beeped then record the temp. i practically slept right through it AND it included him in the whole ttc thang if ya wanna look at it that way. that way your temp is taken at the same time each morn and minimal movement is happenin.

to you. we're goin on our 23 month ttc here with 2 lost this past year.
it sucks.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts