Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a homebirth on 4/7, and I had a 1 1/2 -2nd degree tear. My midwife doesn't do stitching, so I went to the ER, but the doc said it wasn't bad enough to stitch and that it would heal on it's own.

It now seems to have "healed", but I think I re-opened the wound around 4 weeks when I had a bowel movement (is that possible?) Now, I am about 11 weeks out from birth and it's still tender sometimes. It also feels like it's just "bigger" down there, as in the hole. Sorry if this is a little graphic!
My DH looked at it and said it does look red still, and the hole looks bigger. When I fart, and I'm sitting on a chair, it feels like the air goes into my vagina as well....and it never did that before.

So, my question is, is this normal? How long would it take a tear to heal on it's own? We still have not had post-partum sex because of this... help!

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
Usually tears will heal within a couple weeks, although some soreness may persist for a while. I'd have your midwife look at it again and make sure it's healing. Kegels often help speed healing and help you regain some muscle tone.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Well, I know that soreness can persist for a long while, especially if you injure it again.....I would assume that you didn't retear it, but that you maybe bruised it really bad or stretched it........

I had a tiny tear with my son that didn't need sitching and it was closed up in a week. But it took till week 4 before it felt ok and now, at week 5, it's still sore if I sit hard or whatnot.

I noticed with my daughter, that the vaginal opening didn't close up as fast as everything else seemed to. I too still look "bigger" as in the opening looks wider, but I've resumed sex at this point and I know that it's just looking like that outside.

Yep, I have that thing happen when I toot, as well.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
doctor jen--thanks for the guidance; I have since moved to another town, so seeing my midwife isn't an option. I could go into a midwife in my new town, but I was hoping it would just go away!
If it persists, I will definitely seek medical advice...

anothermama--so glad to hear I'm not the only one with "funny flufffs"! hee hee!

·
Registered
25,064 Posts
ITA with the above postings...

it should heal within the six to ten weeks post partum that everything else is supposed to heal and move back into place...

but if you still have problems, go and get some advice...eat lots of fiber so you will not have that <problem> again...Kegels help...

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
What did you do for the tear pp? Did you use a sitz bath/hot soaks/compresses, anything?

With my first, I got an episiotomy, one of my stitches did tear out, and it was a middle one, not an end one. I think the OB just did a rotten job stitching it, since she was rushing. Anyway, that was sore for months, and felt wrong, but hot sitz baths helped speed healing. I saw a thread a bit ago on here somewhere about herbs that can be used in the sitz bath which help alot, too.

I had a bit of a hole in the middle, between the vaginal opening and the anus, for awhile, and I was freaked/scared! However, it healed to a bump, and that healed too, and I did a lot of kegels, and my fear of being changed for life was for naught! Time and kegels do a world of good.

In my subsequent birth, I had no tearing, despite the baby being 1 lb. bigger. It being a waterbirth helped a lot, I think, as did physiological pushing. I had been afraid that I would tear on the scar tissue, which I can still feel a little bit.

Give it heat, give it time, do kegels, and keep yourself overall as healthy as you can. It will heal, and you will regain your previous shape, more or less. Although, I do have to say that the physical appearance of the vaginal opening is not the same as it was before having babies, the functionality has not been impaired at all. ;D

After the first, it took a good while to recover, but sexual function was not impaired. DH claims that, if anything, sex is more pleasurable since we've had children.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.