Mothering Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
7,295 Posts
Hm. I always think of foamy or sticky spit as not enough spit... weird.

I've heard that the more saliva the better... people with drier mouths are more prone towards cavities. But, quality of saliva is going to make a difference as well. The only test I know of for that is a ph test. But that wouldn't test for mineral content or things like that.... you can also get a caries susceptibility test, which I think tests for acidity/ph... not really sure. It's debated whether or not it's accurate. You can also have spit tested for bacteria counts/types. But I haven't ever tried that.

Anyway. My husband has a TON of saliva, more than I ever thought was humanly possible (as in, he drools sometimes, has to pause to swallow when he's talking, etc...) and he has no cavities. I have what I would call normal amounts, and I have tons (however, I breath through my mouth at night which dries my mouth out), and I have plenty of cavities. My son has normal saliva and cavities. HTH.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.