Mothering Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
I haven't tried them. However, those pots look awfully small and tomatoes do need many many nutrients to grow well - they need tons of earth. Maybe a cherry tomatoe with frequent fertilization might be ok. But be aware that the fertilization and quality of the earth do change the taste of the plants.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
LOL... I think that commercial is horrible, but I actually think the idea is great.

Our local seed/supply company is selling these (or something very similar) and it makes sense to me. I don't know about the "greenhouse" making "roots explode" or any advantage of gravity helping the nutrients run straight down to the fruit (lololol)... but it does make sense in terms of not having to stake indeterminate plants and saving space since they can hang on a patio, etc etc.

It's actually been done in the past by hanging from peat-lined wire baskets, you can do things like grow tomatoes out the bottom and have something else on top. That's actually what I'm planning to do this year, in fact. I'm also doing some the "traditional" way in the ground, and I'll compare which did better, if it was any easier, etc etc.

I think the quality of the tomatoes will be mostly determined by the quality of the growing medium and the amount of sun they get, not by the quantity of earth or whether they're right-side up or not.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by tankgirl73 View Post
I think the quality of the tomatoes will be mostly determined by the quality of the growing medium and the amount of sun they get, not by the quantity of earth or whether they're right-side up or not.
Yes, but in small pots tomatoes will have to be fertilized. I have found that this does change the taste of tomatoes. I personally find it easier to provide lots of nutritious earth from the beginning, so I don't have to worry about supplying extra nutrients.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by tankgirl73 View Post
I don't know about the "greenhouse" making "roots explode" or any advantage of gravity helping the nutrients run straight down to the fruit (lololol)..
I have to laugh and cringe anytime I see this part of the commercial. It's pretty much a blatant lie since gravity had nothing to do with water/nutrient transport in plants like the tomato.

I do think it is a good idea for anyone with very limited space or someone like my mom who can't bend over to garden.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by MidnightCommando View Post

I do think it is a good idea for anyone with very limited space or someone like my mom who can't bend over to garden.
That is EXACTLY what I was hoping to hear.
: I'm having major ankle surgery at the end of May and am aching to find a way to grow veggies this year w/out the ability to pull off the maintenence that garden growing requires.

The "over-selling" of the commercial had me concerned, though.

The flavor of them will deifnetly be interesting to discover. I'll have to come back and update on that front.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
(nak)

my dh got me 2 for valentine's day, how romantic, huh?
i love them! i've had lots of trouble before w/ our soil and tomatoes - this makes it ridic easy. i'm dying for the tomato tree now.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
I ended up getting them this growing season, I had been tempted in past yrs but didnt. This yr we are faced with deers, very brave deers
So we ended up using these on our balconies and so far they are going great. I feel that I do need to water them more as opposed to regular containers (which I have done in the past) due to evaporation/drainage? but other than that it has solved our problems. We havent gotten any tomatoes yet as it is too early but it is FULL of yellow flowers so its very promising to us.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.