Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine was telling me there is some kind of food that looks like the green stuff California roll is wrapped in. It's supposed to be high in iron and have a mild but salty taste. I'm wanting to give it to my toddler, but don't actually know what this food IS. I though vegetarians and vegans would know....do you?

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by starry_mama View Post
nori?
That is interesting link- I did not know that much about nori. I second nori. Many of the sea veggies are high in iron and iodine. I love veggie sushis; I wish we had a Japanese restaurant close by.

·
Banned
2,883 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by melissa17s View Post
That is interesting link- I did not know that much about nori. I second nori. Many of the sea veggies are high in iron and iodine. I love veggie sushis; I wish we had a Japanese restaurant close by.
I don't know much about it either - I was just trying to link something that had a good picture of it - I figured the OP would know it if she saw it!

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
We are big fans of miso soup lately, that I make with nori. My boys have even asked for it for breakfast! Anyway, it takes no time to make:

Bring 4-5 cups broth or water to a boil. I add 1-2 shredded carrots and a package of tofu, cut into small cubes. Turn the pot down to a simmer. Dissolve 1-2 Tbs. miso paste in a little cold water. Tear one sheet of nori into small pieces. Add both to the pot. Simmer for a minute more. Serve with thinly sliced green onions on top. Very yummy!

You could definitely tweak it with more or less veggies, use chicken broth if you're not a veg, etc.

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
There's all sorts of different kinds of seaweed. I'm fond of wakame and hijiki. Nori is nice, too, though. I use wakame in my (soy-free) miso soup.

·
Registered
5,706 Posts
I like to grind up a variety of sea veggies to a powder, then I add it when I'm making soups, grains, etc. to boost the mineral content.

Sea Veg Mix
Sea vegetables provide vitamins and minerals. This mixture can be cooked with soup, grains, and vegetables. Don't worry if you can't find every ingredient listed. Just use whichever you can find.

1/2 cup hiziki
1/2 cup arame
1/4 cup dulse
1/4 cup broken up wakame
2 tablespoons granulated kelp

Place sea vegetables in blender. Grind until coarse powder. Store in covered jar.

Makes about 1/2 cup

I've also discovered this great little snack at my health food store called "Sea's Gift" It's nori roasted in sesame oil and lightly salted. It's yummy plain but I've been really liking it lately wrapped around a cucumber slice. I've even been making cucumber and mayo sandwiches with it on toast. Yum.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.