Mothering Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got rid off pretty much every toxic cleaner yesterday along with my Teflon pans and plastic containers that were #7. I have a few plastic Glad disposable type containers that I am keeping to send when people take left overs etc... We are converting to glass storage. My mother in law is a happy person - she took everything gladly!!

Anyway... today I decided to clean the dusty chemical residue under the sink and get it cleaned and organized. It feels so great. I am wondering what your under the sink cabinets look like. Mine has changed so much in the last six months!

When I am done I will simply have:

One cleaning basket with a small bottle of Dr. Bronners, Baking soda, Bottle of Vinegar, and a Seventh Generation All purpose cleaner/window cleaner. Along with a bottle of water and vinegar.

Also another bin with gloves, sponges and brush.

The only toxic thing left is my Cascade which will be in a small bin and when that one is finished I am swithing to something better like Ecover or 7th generation or soemthing similar. Oh yes... I am keeping a disinfecting towels thingie until they run out in case there is anything that requires disinfecting. I doubt I will need to use them though... in the laundry room there is a bottle of bleach that I think I might keep just in case we ever absolutely need it. I dont really know for what but who knows - I know if there is no drinkable water and no electricity you can use bleach to sanitize water.

So anyway... the only bad stuff we will we will be using in the house on a regular basis for cleanign will be the All Free and Clear - we do not use softener and dont miss it. Oh yes we also haved Oxyclean for stains and yucky loads.

I am so happy to have so little... also the bronners and baking soda mixture smells divine and it works great!! I now want to pitch everything I can - or freecycle it and live simpler. I dont have clutter but I want even less stuff that I currently have.

·
Registered
3,810 Posts
Let's see....I've got spray bottles of my homemade disinfecting spray, and furniture polish. I've got squirt bottles of homemade toilet cleaner and an old parm cheese container I put baking soda in for sprinkling on tubs, sinks etc. I've got Sun and Earth dishwasher tabs, Ecover rinse aid. I've got a bucket and a bottle of the traditional car wash cleaner dh won't give up
I've got a spray bottle of vinegar and water, and an extra bottle of Seventh Generation liquid dish detergent (lavender scent). I've got extra bottles of Sun and Earth multipurpose cleaner and I guess that's about it! A very different cupboard than a few years ago!!

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
I did the big clear-out a few years ago. We now have:

Ecover everything
I could be a walking endorsement for them. All purpose cleaner, toliet cleaner, dish soap, dishwasher detergent, glass cleaner, etc.

I also have rags of various sizes, some nylon scrubbies, 7th Gen paper towels (for dog messes), vinegar, baking soda and a pair of rubber gloves (my mom uses them when she washes dishes at my house - no complaints here!!).

·
Registered
8,238 Posts
A recycling bin, Dr Bronners, homemade window cleaner (vinegar, dr Bronner and club soda), dishwasher detergent (Target brand something or other), extra sponges, a vase, and garbage bags.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
homemade cleaners with BS, vineger etc....gloves, sponges, cloths and lots of Sun and Earth stuff. I LOVE them, esp the dishwasher deterg tabs and multipurpose cleaner. I love to declutter-it is my fav past-time.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Quote:
Mine has changed so much in the last six months!
Same here! Can't believe it.

Hmm..let's see. I'm sorta in between on a lot of things because some I'm using up and others I'm tossing to someone who will use it.

I use mainly vinegar with essential oils, baking soda, Dr. bronner's sal suds (ugh..had no idea it had sls in it but I only use it for floors) and dr. bronners soap (awesome for hands and ants).

I currently am using up my icky clothes detergent (cheapo purex), automatic dishwashing detergent, and hand washing dish detergent. I have healthy replacements for the first two so far.

I am using up my green scouring/sponges and then going to get a healthier alternatives since the old ones i am using up are treated with anti bacterial chemicals that aren't good. I find myself impatient using this stuff up lol..I wanti t gone NOW but it's been so hard since I grew up so frugal on what to let go early and what to use up before the switching.

·
Registered
9,119 Posts
under my kitchen sink are:

two recycling bins (one for plastic bottles, the other for paper and cardboard).

extra sponges, copper scrubbers, rubber gloves
baking soda
vinegar
some dishwashing liquid (DH does dishes, so we aren't giving up his favorite dish soap)

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
Under my kitchen sink:

garbage bags
small propane tanks (for the BBQ -- we bought extra for hurricane season)
Washing soda (used to make aundry soap)
Feather duster
Gallon jug of Dr Bronners lavendar soap
Mehod dishwasher cubes (I know, I know, but they work better than any other natural brand)
Ecover dishwasher box (not enough for a full load -- took it out and recycled!)
Method kitchen spray (I won't buy it again)
Minwax floor cleaner (ditto)

Mr Clean Erasers
Only ever bought them one time a few years back, but they are useful for wall marks
Nature Clean dishwashing soap
Petzyme (for the occasional cat pee)
smal broom with a dust pan

All my dish cloths and rags are kept in a drawer. Laundry stuff is kept in the laundry (we're using 7th generation right now). Baking soda (which I use a lot) is in the pantry, as is vinegar. There would be rubber gloves, but I washed them and they're still hanging up in the laundry room.

·
Registered
11,719 Posts
Wow! Surprised at all the "cleaners" under the sink...even more natural ones, I keep them up and away so my little "explorer" doesn't get into them. Under my kitchen sink? Pots and pans, a bucket full of the kids water toys...that's about it.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
We live in a VERY small place so extra places to store stuff is non existant, especially safer places. How I cut down on the chance she has of getting into stuff is we have a gate between the living room and the kitchen that is "always" closed. The under the sink area has two locks on it. My unnatural stuff will be gone shortly.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.