Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen it mentioned here more than once and am wondering what it is and where you can get it.
Someone also mentioned having side effects from it?

thanks

·
Registered
402 Posts
Vitex is a herbal medicine used by some women to "regulate" their cycles. It's widely available in health food and grocery stores and on the internet. I'd be careful though, if you're planning on self-mediating. I used it this last month and had a weird messed up cycle (I was trying to lengthen my luteal phase). I've heard on various boards from lots of other women who experienced odd cycles too. Also women who claim it worked for them. Do lots of reseach before taking anything though. Seek the advice of someone who knows a lot about herbal medicines too.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
Vitex is also known as the chasteberry plant, here is a link you might find helpful.
http://www.susunweed.com/Article_Vitex_RedMoonHerbs.htm

I started taking it a month and half ago after doing my own research about it online and at a local herbal shop that I trust. I have heard anecdotal evidence about people not liking it for one reason or another, but mostly have read good experiences with it by and large.

From what I understand, vitex works on the endocrine system, specifically the pituitary gland which govern hormones. It is supposed to be supportive of all phases of cycle and women in different stages of their life, as it supports the enodicrine system. Vitex is supposed to support whatever is healthy functioning of the endocrine system, whether it is in the follicular phase or luteal. It is generally known as a gentle safe herb for most women, not to say that it is for everyone, or that some folks have not had such good experiences. Like I said, this is just what I took away from my own research.

I took it to strengthen my cycles, especially my luteal phase. It has only been one cycle but so far, so good. It seemed to really help with my pms symptoms like irritability, emotional-ness, bloating, cramping, general blah. I plan to take it for a few months and then discontinue, the effect of regularity and hormonal strength is supposed to carry on once you stop.

Here is another interesting link
http://www.herbmed.org/Herbs/Herb135...tegory2Herb135

GL !

PS I think it is sold wherever herbal remedies are sold, like the grocery store, or the health food store is probably the best bet

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Hi,
Just wanted to add that vitex/chasteberry takes awhile to "kick in", generally about three months apparently, so you might have to stick with it for awhile before seeing results.
I took it, and had no unpleasant side effects (it is generally regarded as "gentle"). It lengthened my luteal phase by several days, and I would recommend it to people. I am ITA with oceanmommy in terms of what my research found as well. But, trust your gut, if you don't feel comfortable with it, don't take it, I say.

Katia.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
I'm with Pastrydemon: I had a lousy experience with Vitex. I took it in the form of Fertility Blend vitamins (available at GNC and Rite Aid). The cycle I took it, I did not ovulate. The next month I ovulated late: day 20 instead of 15 or 16. It also caused me to have lots of fertile CM which was confusing so we only ended up BD the day of ovulation the second month.

Perhaps if I had stuck out taking it for three months, it would have done something. Or maybe I wouldn't have Oed on it at all. I decided it wasn't worth the risk.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by oceanmommy

I took it to strengthen my cycles, especially my luteal phase. It has only been one cycle but so far, so good. It seemed to really help with my pms symptoms like irritability, emotional-ness, bloating, cramping, general blah.

It can help with PMS and cramps? Holy crap! I'm lookin' in to this stuff.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
I've just started taking it, but I have seen a huge improvement in my cycle overall in just a few weeks. Mainly that my temps aren't going crazy and I have a distinct coverline that I hadn't had at all since stopping with bc pills. That's not to say that it's great for everyone and I reserve total judgement until I go through a few cycles (or get pregnant, whichever comes first). Use your instincts (like op's have said) if you feel like it's safe and it may help go for it. If it worries you then stay away. I've found my instincts are generally right on (hence I follow them now).

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by judejude

It can help with PMS and cramps? Holy crap! I'm lookin' in to this stuff.
look at this, taken from the first link posted above :

Quote:
Vitex itself has none of the hormonal building blocks that many of the medicinal plants used for the reproductive system contain. Instead, this herb nourishes and supports the endocrine system to find its own balance. David Hoffman, a well-known herbalist, says "Vitex will always enable what is appropriate to occur."

Almost all of symptoms associated with the menstrual cycle can be treated with this plant. It is the single best herb for treating the many possible symptoms of PMS: cramps, flooding, headaches, depression, water retention, constipation, acne, breast tenderness, and irritability. It can help normalize irregular or scanty periods.

It is especially helpful for women who are coming off the birth control pill. For many women, cycles remain irregular for up to two years after stopping the pill. Vitex can greatly shorten that time and helps ease the body into regaining its own natural rhythm.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts