Mothering Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a mixture of prefolds/covers and pockets... a few fitteds. They all get washed the same. We have FB medium pockets we use at night and seriously, they reek!!! I always thought it was just because they were on the kids for 12+ hours every night (I mean, I knew they wouldn't smell good after that!) but last night my little one had a middle of the night meltdown so I changed his diaper in case that was his issue, and I was holding him when he peed in it and it smelled like ammonia right away!!! What gives and what can I do to fix it??

·
Registered
5,278 Posts
The polyester fleece used to line pocket diapers (and sometimes other diapers too) is notorious for odor retention. Try washing them normally, then washing them again on the hottest water available with no detergent.

·
Registered
699 Posts
and make sure to neutralize that ammonia

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
I had this same problem, i did a big soak overnight in the bathtub with my Rockin Green laundry soap, whatever you use for diapers will work. Then i washed them like normal but put some vinegar in the rinse. that seemed to do the trick. it's a lame problem, i totally hate it and hate the work it brings.

·
Registered
417 Posts
It may not be the most popular or enviro-conscious, but bleach REALLY works for stinkies. We have some BumGenius and mostly prefolds, but when the BG's get stinky, about once a month, I add 1/4 cup bleach to the hot wash with detergent as usual. They get the normal extra cold rinse, and we are good to go. This does not bother DD's skin at all as long as they are rinsed well, nor has it adversely effected the performance of my Thirsties covers, prefolds, or wet bags.

·
Registered
3,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have no issue using bleach, we use it in small quantities (like... a couple tbsps) every month or 2 but maybe I will take just the FB and do a cycle with them and some bleach and throw my MF inserts in with them too.... I wish I could just ditch the pockets but its the only we have that works on my older son.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts