Mothering Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK first of all let me tell you that I try VERY hard to use gentle discipline and it is something I have to work VERY hard at.<br><br>
I was raised in a yelling, hitting household and have to fight against these things everyday.<br><br>
I have hit my ds, who is 4, a few times, the first time I did he was just over 2 and he hit me right back and when I said, "you can't hit me" he said "why? you hit me" and I agreed and apologized. But I have lost it a couple of times since.<br><br>
Anyway to my question... Every once in a while I will be have a very stressful time and my ds will be misbehaving and I will tell him "I am feeling very angry and feeling like I want to spank you, will you please go in another room?" or give me a minute by myself or something similar. I have always felt bad saying this but really, it is how I am feeling, I'm not threating him that he will get hit, just telling him that I need some space for a few minutes.<br><br>
So please tell me your thoughts... be honest, my feelings will not be hurt, if you think this is a horrible thing to say please let me know.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
I think you are doing a great thing. You are telling your ds that it is normal to WANT to hit, but that it is not acceptable, so sometimes EVEN GROWN-UPS need to step back and calm down!<br>
That is the best thing! You are showing him by example that you are angry and you control your temper! The next time he is agry enough to hit, you can remind him of these times and help him work through his anger.<br><br>
If you are worried that he thinks this is a threat, tell him (when you are calm) that you never want to hit him again and that when you get that angry, you are just trying to calm down.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts